Why is file copy on Windows 2008 Server so slow?
Boy, I thought file copy on Win7 was slow but nothing compared to how slow it is on Windows 2008. Simply trying to copy 1.6GB from on folder on C:\ to another folder on C:\ takes 8 minutes!! Speed is only 3.6MB per sec. How does one speed up file copy in Windows 2008?
June 12th, 2010 7:02pm

Hello, start with this really good article about new network settings coming with Windows server 2008: http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/08/20/tcp-chimney-and-rss-features-may-cause-slow-file-transfers-or-cause-connectivity-problems.aspxBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 13th, 2010 1:55am

Manny, Is everything slow? Saving, Loading or just file copy? Are you using UNC paths to copy and paste? Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support , Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 13th, 2010 4:20am

Just file copy. No UNC paths... it's the same machine. It's copying from one folder on the C:\ drive to another folder on the C:\ drive as I stated.
June 13th, 2010 9:02am

And.... not only is file copy slower than a slug on Windows 2008 deleting files is as well. I am trying to delete 7.83GB of stuff. I started the delete job over 30 minutes ago and its still going. Fun time!!!
June 13th, 2010 6:33pm

Do you have software RAID? Have you tried to look into the article sumitted by Meinolf? It usually affects network transfer speeds but I'm not sure how it applies to you since you are doing a disk to disk copy. What is you copy data to say an external HDD or a Flash drive, like from f:\ to f:\ Same result? Have you checked the BIOS settings for the HDD mode? Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support , Miami, FL Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site
June 13th, 2010 6:34pm

Hi, If possible, please add an extra disk to the computer, then you can copy files from one disk to another to check whether you get the same issue. You can also perform the same test on the new added disk. By the way, please boot the computer into Safe Mode to perform the same test. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
June 14th, 2010 11:25am

Not sure why you marked your post as the answer Vincent. It's not. The issue is clearly something to do with these new operating systems. I have 3 disks in the machine. File copy between the disks is slow as well however, not as slow as across my network with 2 machines sitting side by side. Also, File Deletion in Windows 2008 is the worst! Trying to delete 37.4GB of files takes 1.37 hours. What a joke!!!
June 27th, 2010 7:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics