Why is .NET Framework 4.5.2 showing as an optional update?
In Windows Update on one Windows 2008 R2 server the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 shows in the Optional list, and on another Windows 2008 R2 server it appears in the Important list. Anybody know why it appears in Optional when it is actually a Recommended update? I already have .NET Framework 4.5.1 installed on both servers.
April 27th, 2015 9:27am

Might be dependent on some other components. I'd ask them over here.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=netfxsetup

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2015 10:01pm

I already did. They sent me here!
April 30th, 2015 8:11am

May need to map out the differences in roles / features and also any different applications installed to figure this out.

April 30th, 2015 9:34am

Hi,

By default, .NET Framework 3.5.1 features has been installed on windows server 2008r2.

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4, Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 and Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1.

So did you install .NET Framework 4 or newer version on your server 2008r2?

Regards.

May 5th, 2015 8:39am

Both machines have .NET Framework 4.5.1 installed.
May 5th, 2015 8:59am

May need to map out the differences in roles / features and also any different applications installed to figure thi

May 5th, 2015 9:00am

Hi ,

.NET Framework 4.5.2 is an important update, while the Language Packs can be an optional update in some circumstance.

When the .NET Framework 4.5.2 product is offered as a recommended update.

When the .NET Framework 4.5.2 Language Packs are offered as a recommended update. Computers that have the .NET Framework 4.5.2 with an older version of language packs for the .NET Framework 4, the .NET Framework 4.5, or the .NET Framework 4.5.1 will receive this update. This update upgrades all previous language packs to version 4.5.2.

The .NET Framework 4.5.2 Language Packs are also available separately as an optional update. However, this update is not offered together with the .NET Framework 4.5.2 recommended update that is described previously. Computers that meet the following criteria will receive this update:

• The .NET Framework 4.5.2 is already installed.
  • There is no previous .NET Framework 4, .NET Framework 4.5, or.NET Framework 4.5.1 language pack installed.
  • The base operating system is a localized version of Windows, or the computer has one or more Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packs installed for one of the 23 supported languages for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 that's documented here

Please capture a screenshot of the Windows Update symptom on both servers.  

Also please copy the following script as a vbs file on both servers. Double click to run it and let me know the result.

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Product")

For Each objItem in colItems

If InStr(objItem.Name, "Microsoft .NET Framework") > 0 Then
        Wscript.Echo objItem.Version
    End If
Next

May 12th, 2015 12:08am

Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

May 13th, 2015 10:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics