Why does the OOTB RefinableString managed property work and a custom managed property fail?

I have a crawled property ows_Place. I set up an OOTB refinable string property to use this, RefinableString01. I do a full crawl, and can then execute the following query successfully:

RefinableString01:"Germany"

which returns several hundred results.

However, I am not keen on using the OOTB managed properties simply because their names are vague and also we will have more than 100 string properties. So I created my own managed property, CompanyPlace, setting this up exactly the same as the RefinableString01 property. I did a full crawl. However, when executing the following query

CompanyPlace:"Germany"

I only get two results back.

I thought maybe this was something specific to the ows_Places crawled property, so I tried the same thing with another crawled property, ows_BusinessSegment. The OOTB refinable string returned many results, the custom one I created returned none!

Is there something special about the OOTB refinable managed properties that I am missing? I have looked at every setting and they all match in both managed properties.

• Edited by Heley Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:42 PM
May 28th, 2015 12:40pm

If the two managed properties are truly the same, these searches really should return the same result set.  Your expectations are accurate.  Given that they're not, here are the things I would do next:

1. Compare the settings of each managed property and ensure they both have the same crawled properties mapped to them.
  2. Run a full crawl on all content sources <<< THIS!!!
  3. Execute these searches again in the same search center at the same scope

I missed out one of the content sources, thanks. One of those "staring me in the face but didn't see it" moments. :)
  • Edited by Heley Friday, May 29, 2015 9:54 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 29th, 2015 9:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics