Why does my Win7 automatically connect to RODC domain?
Please stick to one post. You have created 2 posts in different sub forums for the same issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/3bc4c1f7-225d-4718-ac2a-9446064a01b0This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 7th, 2012 5:13pm

i see that error on the rodc server. Can you please state why its not possible that the DC locator/Group policy isnt the issue? AFAIK, this is how dc locator works The client computer which tries to locate the domain controller to logon, llooks for DNS server. Once it locates a domain controller, it establishes communication by using LDAP to gain access to Active Directory. As a part of sign on negotiation, the domain controller identifies which site the client is in based on the IP subnet of that client. If the client is communicating with a domain controller that is not in the closest (most optimal) site, the domain controller returns the name of the client's site. If the client has already tried to find domain controllers in that site, the client uses the domain controller that is not optimal, secondary DNS specified (if applicable). After the client locates a domain controller, the DC entry is cached. If the domain controller is not in the optimal site, the client flushes the cache after fifteen minutes and discards the cache entry. It then attempts to find an optimal domain controller in the same site as the client. In your scenario perhaps, RODC IP could be a secondary DNS and your machine is trying to reach out for it. I only only suspect this, its hard to tell what exactly is going on with very little information. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 7th, 2012 7:36pm

i know my notebook is trying to connect to rodc because i can see that in SCOM (System Center Operations Manager). Could you pls post the message or screen shot which you see from SCOM console?This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 10th, 2012 6:51am

this is exactly what it says in the eventlog: The session setup from the computer MYNOTEBOOK failed to authenticate. The following error occurred: Access is denied.
March 10th, 2012 7:25am

Could it be possible that it has something to do with the DC locator? or a group policy issue (Try next closest site)?
March 10th, 2012 8:41am

this is exactly what it says in the eventlog: The session setup from the computer MYNOTEBOOK failed to authenticate. The following error occurred: Access is denied. The error message does not indicate that your machine is trying to connect RODC. Where did you see that event logged, on RODC or SCOM server ? Possible reasons for aforementioned errors have been given in below article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942564This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 10th, 2012 9:00am

Could it be possible that it has something to do with the DC locator? or a group policy issue (Try next closest site)? Not likely.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 10th, 2012 9:01am

i see that error on the rodc server. Can you please state why its not possible that the DC locator/Group policy isnt the issue?
March 10th, 2012 9:06am

Please stick to one post. You have created 2 posts in different sub forums for the same issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/3bc4c1f7-225d-4718-ac2a-9446064a01b0This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 10th, 2012 9:15am

i see that error on the rodc server. Can you please state why its not possible that the DC locator/Group policy isnt the issue? AFAIK, this is how dc locator works The client computer which tries to locate the domain controller to logon, llooks for DNS server. Once it locates a domain controller, it establishes communication by using LDAP to gain access to Active Directory. As a part of sign on negotiation, the domain controller identifies which site the client is in based on the IP subnet of that client. If the client is communicating with a domain controller that is not in the closest (most optimal) site, the domain controller returns the name of the client's site. If the client has already tried to find domain controllers in that site, the client uses the domain controller that is not optimal, secondary DNS specified (if applicable). After the client locates a domain controller, the DC entry is cached. If the domain controller is not in the optimal site, the client flushes the cache after fifteen minutes and discards the cache entry. It then attempts to find an optimal domain controller in the same site as the client. In your scenario perhaps, RODC IP could be a secondary DNS and your machine is trying to reach out for it. I only only suspect this, its hard to tell what exactly is going on with very little information. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 10th, 2012 11:38am

i know my notebook is trying to connect to rodc because i can see that in SCOM (System Center Operations Manager). my notebook is not with me at the moment but i will try and see if it displays 2 different ips as dns servers.
March 11th, 2012 6:00am

Why is it that whenever i turn on my win7 notebook it automatically tries to connect with our rodc server at work? help is appreciated. thanks in advance
March 11th, 2012 6:35am

Why is it that whenever i turn on my win7 notebook it automatically tries to connect with our rodc server at work? help is appreciated. thanks in advance It appears that, RODC IP has been set as Primary DNS server on DHCP server from where your machine is receiving IP Address.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 11th, 2012 6:47am

so the rodc ip on my notebook is set as primary dns server?
March 11th, 2012 6:50am

Need some additional details here. Could you please explain, how did you identify that your notebook is connecting RODC ? If you run ipconfig /all from cmd, do you see 2 diffferent IPs as DNS servers ? If yes, is the first displayed IP belongs to your RODC ? This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. Most of the downtime's are caused because of SysAdmin's curiosity ! - Santosh
March 11th, 2012 6:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics