Why does SSRS not create a .rdl.DATA file when previewing a report?

We have been using SSRS 2008  for several weeks generally connecting to an Oracle database and returning large amounts of data in our reports. The common issue we are seeing is that when switching from preview to design and vice versa after only making layout changes the data is not cached, when switching back to preview.  Also there are not and rdl.DATA files being generated.  Is there is a switch anywhere in BIDS to turn this on and off or some other reason why the data wouldn't be cached? A size limit perhaps?

-Adam

June 27th, 2011 7:07pm

Hi Adam,

Actually, BIDS uses a data cache when designing reports to speed up your development and improve design-peview-design-preview iterations.

So if you don’t want to keep this feature, of course you can turn it off, steps are below:

Find your config file that controls the Report Designer in BIDS. For SQL Server 2008 SSRS, this should be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\RSReportDesigner.config

Change CacheDataForPreview to “false” , if you want to turn it on, just change CacheDataForPreview to “True”

Thanks,
Challen Fu

Forum Support
If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, please contact
us

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 28th, 2011 10:11am

Hi Challen,

On my machine CacheDataforPreview is already set to True. Yet no .DATA files are created within a BIDS development project, and also like awright18 has reported the entire report seems to be recalculated after making even a minor layout change and clicking Preview within BIDS.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Just to add: This is 2008 R2. Never had the problem when I worked on 2008.
August 16th, 2011 12:46pm

Please install the SP1 for SSRS 2008 R2, then you will have the rdl.data file. SP1 is available at this link http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26727

Thanks,
Challen Fu

August 17th, 2011 4:39am

Thanks. Do I need to install SP1 on the server or just on my local machine for this change to apply?

August 17th, 2011 11:57am

If you want to get this rdl.data file in local develop environment, just install it in local machine.
August 17th, 2011 12:24pm

Thanks!
August 17th, 2011 4:40pm

Thanks Challen,

This Help me alot.  

Thanks

Neeraj

January 17th, 2014 5:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics