Why Mount-DiskImage fails saying file format not supported for the ISO WS 2012 core is installed from?

Dear all,

This was rather strange to experience. I installed WS 2012 R2 core edition on physical server. The ISO used was of Windows Server 2012 R2 evaluation edition 120-days trial.I had separate HDD in computer to install WS 2012 R2 trial onto that; dual booth with Win 7 x64 that I use for day to day computing.

I started setup by mounting ISO of WS 2012 R2 trial into a virtual CD/DVD drive which PowerISO 4.5 creates. Setup started successfully; installed files etc and rebooted OK. Server booted for the first time and I could land onto Cmd and sconfig etc.

Output of Get-WindowsFeatures shows payload for server GUI component "Removed" which is ok. I've the original ISO copied onto d:\ drive in folder as following:

E:\Bank\WinOses\WS12\ws12-r2.iso

In order to provide the source files to Get-WindowsFeatures when installing the GUI component. I can use DISM /mount-wim command. But before that I've to mount the ISO. For that I tried following and I got the error I'm sharing with. This is strange as the official documentation of Mount-DiskImage says it supports mounting any ISO. What am I doing wrong here?

The version does not support this version of the file format.

Regards,

Shahzad

March 21st, 2015 11:04pm

Hi Shahzad,

Does the ISO on some removable media? Some folks meet this issue when the ISO on the removable media, please try to copy the ISO to DA storage then try again.

The similar issue thread:

Cannot Mount Any ISO in Windows 8.1 Pro

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/736c2137-aa4c-47cf-a3da-9210ffdf5f54/cannot-mount-any-iso-in-windows-81-pro?forum=w8itprogeneral

Im glad to be of help to you!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 2:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics