Why 'System32' is the folder name the container of 64 bit files in the folder Windows Server 2008 R2 x64? :-)
Why 'System32' is the name of the folder, what collect the 64 bit files in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64? :-) Really. Why? :-) T.
July 1st, 2010 9:34pm

Good question. All I can do is speculate. Maybe a Microsoft employee might be able to answer it better.. My guess would be that it's been kept as System32 for compatability reasons. Maybe because Applications reference dll's in this directory.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2010 5:29am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From my perspective, the name of folder "System32" is reserved for the Object-code compatible. As we know, Windows on Windows 64-bit (WOW64) provides file system redirection. In Windows Server 2008 R2, the %WinDir%\System32 folder is reserved for 64-bit applications. When a 32-bit application tries to access the System32 folder, access is redirected to the following folder: %WinDir%\SysWOW64 By default, file system redirection is enabled. Thanks, MilesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
July 2nd, 2010 5:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics