Who should do DNS/DHCP server 08 or router?
we have ip phones as well we use a ip visa processor machine. We have a server 2008 and Linksys router. Who should do the DNS and DHCP? i hear conflicting views. i need to enable port triggering on the router for the phones but other than that it is a standard network setup. Thanks
May 8th, 2008 10:02pm

I think this is a personal preference. I would tend to want to do it from Windows Server on the same host that is doing DNS, simply because I can then manage my domain and my network from a single location. I don't think you will find any hard and fast rules on this. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 10th, 2008 12:55am

Hi, Personally, if this is a small home network, then i would leave everything for the DSL Router, DHCP & DNS. But if its in a corporate enviroment, then ofcourse, after the router there would be a Firewall ( ISA Server For example with 2 Network Interfaces ) and then my Internal Network which would have the DC, DHCP and DNS, .... So as you can see, the Internal Network is seperated from the DLS Router by the Firewall, and also i prefer to use the Internal DNS/DHCP Server for my Internal Clients, to avoid name resolution errors, and joining domain problems in certain cases. HTH, Tarek _____________________________Tarek Majdalani MVP -- ISA Firewalls Website : http://www.elmajdal.net/Win2k8
May 10th, 2008 6:03pm

Hello, The answer to your question depends on your own requirement. Compared with hardware router devices, Windows Server 2008 provides better performance, higher security and more functionalities. If you have a big corporate enviroment, youd better choose Windows Server to work as DNS and DHCP server. On the contrary, if you only have a small home network, you could select router to work as DHCP server because its easier to configure a router than Windows server. The following information is for your reference: Windows Server 2008 DNS http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/servermanager/dnsserver.mspx Windows Server 2008 DHCP Server http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/servermanager/dhcpserver.mspx Regards, Neo Zhu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2008 6:37am

Good information. I have installedServer 08 on my home network and I want to let my router do the DHCP and DNS etc. How do I achieve this?I have a server with AD installed without installing Windows DNS. My home network doesn't have a real FQDN, I name it "myhomed" How do I setup the server so that the client comptuers use the router (ISP) for DNS queries and connect to the domain (AD) for network resources. There was a notice about DNS delegation. What is this and do I need to set it? If so, how?I've noticed some name irregularities in the naming setup. My Full Computer Name is listed as MyServer1.myhomeD (uppercase D) while my domain name is myhomed - Is this an issue? My domain netBios name is myhome_D I can not connect my computers to the domain or run remote admins tools yet. I'm obviously missing a step. Any Help?
June 1st, 2008 10:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics