Which version should I use? Domain conflict?
My office needs many of the features found in Small Business Server 2008, but we only have a license for the Standard Edition. Apparently, the standard edition only supports one Windows server per domain. Is it possible to have SBS 2008 and Server 2008 Standard exist on the same domain?
June 29th, 2010 7:21pm

Hello, i don't know where you find the info "standard edition only supports one Windows server per domain"? You can use as much servers in a domain, doesn't matter which edition, as long as you have the correct amount of licenses for the correct edition. It is also no problem to have other Windows servers in a SBS domain, as long you have the licenses. There is also no problem to have additional DCs in a SBS domain, only the FSMOs MUST be on the SBS server itself. Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2010 7:57pm

Thanks Meinholf. This article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd469605(WS.10).aspx had me under the impression that SBS 2008 Standard would be adversly affected by another 2008 installation. The following led me to believe that SBS Premium was the only version that would allow a second server without a EULA violation: "By using Windows SBS 2008 Premium with a second server, you can extend the functionality on a separate operating system in the Windows SBS 2008 network without impacting the original server" Am I correct to assume that the quote above also applies to SBS 2008 Standard? If so, would I be able to (legally) replicate the scenario outlined the article using SBS 2008 Standard and Windows Server 2008 standard?
June 29th, 2010 8:14pm

Hi, There is no limit to add a second server or more servers for all SBS 2008 or Windows Server systems. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2010 1:28pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics