Which Server2003 to download
I downloaded Server 2008 and installed it OK. Now I have to download Server 2003 and install it on an identical machine for a comparison test. Every version I've downloaded gives me an error when I run Setup.exe, saying I must run it from Windows Explorer ("double click My Computer and run setup.exe") . But I get the same error doing that as well, so I'm trying to figure out what I must download in orger to install Server 2003. Server 2008 was an 1800MB iso file, and it went straight forward. Server 2003 seems to come in two CD sized iso files, CD1 and CD2. I've tried several varieties (all "Retail") and none have worked. I'm not sure if I need VL or Retail, or if I need "with KN". Any help would be appreciated.
January 10th, 2010 6:11am

Once you burn disk from the ISO image you should boot from it to start the operating system installation.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 10th, 2010 6:23am

Hi Dave Patrick solution is good, but if you insist on run setup in your windows explorer, that is better to try update your windows or install the last service pack. Because your problem seems that your windows explorer and some registry made corrupted or maybe infect by viruses.
January 10th, 2010 2:07pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave. When I tried booting from the CD it goes to blue screen of death after loading many files (drivers) and saying "Setup is starting Windows". I assumed that was because it didn't have a driver it needed, so I put all the drivers on a thumb drive in a i386 directory. Rebooting from CD, it never accessed the thumb drive, so I tried again, this time pressing F6 to indicate I have a SCSI driver to add. It accessed the thumb drive but wanted a file, txtsetup.oem, which I don't have on the thumb drive. Continuing on without the txtsetup.oem file resulted in the blue screen halt again. -
January 10th, 2010 4:32pm

Thanks for the reply, Sam. I'm uptodate on my virus updates, so I'm inclined to think that isn't the problem. I'm running Vista Home Edition on the C partition, and plan to install Server 2003 on the D partition. When I've booted Vista Home, I try to run Setup.exe from the CD and I get this msg, "Setup cannot run in program compatibility mode." I even tried disabling my Security Protection (Kaspersky).
January 10th, 2010 4:38pm

If your drive controller is not natively supported then you'll want to boot the Windows installation media. Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2003 driver for your drive controller in drive "A"These files need to be in the root. Probably the files named oemsetup.inf, txtsetup.oem, and the *.sys file for your controllerRegards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 10th, 2010 6:58pm

You'll need this one as well.Windows no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configurationhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 10th, 2010 7:04pm

Many thanks for the headsup on wiindows not booting after installing an earlier version of OS.
January 11th, 2010 5:50pm

You're welcome. Did you get Windows Server 2003 installed? Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
January 11th, 2010 6:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics