Where to place a new database for new application ?

Hi,

There are a number of SQL server (2008R2 and 2008) running in our site.  There is a new application that uses SQL Server.

My manager doesn't want to purchase SQL Server License and ask where to place the new application.  What should I ask him before answering his question ?  Like the performance / security requirements ?

Besides, it appears that putting databases of different applications in the same SQL Server installation will mess up the configuration.  Is there any suggestion ?

Thanks

• Edited by TonyJK 6 hours 28 minutes ago
March 31st, 2014 12:04am

Hi Tony,

You can just have different schema for different applications. It means several applications can share the same Sql server licence.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2014 12:22am

Simply create a database in any of the available SQL Server instance. In order to comment on the performance/security it is important to understand the existing OS, SQL Server configuration and environment. What is that new application? How much database resource will be needed i.e size, hit , speed etc ?

March 31st, 2014 12:42am

Accommodating new database in the SQL Server would be easy, but, you may need to analyze the current resource utilization and expected workload on your new application. Your company would have provided resources to the SQL Server by only for existing application. Now, you are adding more databases and if the database users/workload are more, then you may need to do a capacity planning to ensure the server performance and scalability.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2014 12:48am

Ask you mgr what database collation does the new app require. If it differs with the current collation of the default instance, not recommended to create the db on that instance. If your new app create tables in temp, the app database and temp than have different collations and code that compares data between tables residing on the two databases will fail.

March 31st, 2014 3:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics