Where to find & add CALs for WS08
Hello, 1. Where in WS08 EE can you find the current number of CAL's installed? 2. Where can you add additional CALs to the same server? Thanks, BCS24
April 14th, 2008 11:50pm

Hi, The following CALs are available with Windows Server 2008: 1. Windows Server 2008 CAL 2. Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services CAL 3. Windows Server 2008 Rights Management Services CAL I am not sure which Windows CAL you would like to install. Here is the information just for your reference. Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services CAL ---------------------------------------------------------------- 1. Where in WS08 EE can you find the current number of CAL's installed? A: We may find the "Number of TS CALs available for clients" in the Terminal Services Configuration console. Start -> Programs -> Administrative Tools -> Terminal Services -> Terminal Services Configuration 2. Where can you add additional CALs to the same server? A: We can install Terminal Services client access licenses (TS CALs) onto the license server by using the Install Licenses Wizard in the TS Licensing Manager tool in three way. Windows Server 2008 CAL--------------------------------------- 1. How do I install the Windows Server CALs? A: The Windows Server CALs are not installed. The CALs are licenses that you purchase for the server. There is no licensing enforcement in the product. Therefore, the CALs operate on a trust model. 2. Does Windows Server 2008 include any licensing enforcement features? A: No. Windows Server 2008 does not include any licensing enforcement features. Like in earlier versions, the licensing is based on the honor system. Although Volume Activation helps customers manage product keys and activation, it does not provide licensing enforcement. However, Windows Server 2008 can help you track usage and create reports to make sure of compliance. For more information, please refer to:http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/98579314-204c-4157-91dd-50d5ee88232b1033.mspx?mfr=true Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 15th, 2008 10:00am

Windows Server 2003 did allow you to add CALs and gave an error if the cals were exceeded. The licesning msc could be found in Administrative Tools/licensing. Is this different with WS08?
July 2nd, 2008 10:12pm

Thank you David, that was very informative.I am still at the same question Kfoutts is on however. Is there a way to access the CALs like on server 2003, or has this function been removed and just been given an "unlimited" value.
September 11th, 2008 2:10pm

Hi Customer, There is no way to access the Licensing console to add CALs in Windows Server 2008. Since the License Logging service has been removed in Windows Server 2008 and we don't really need to install the Windows License, we just need to keep the paper work at hand in case of an Audit. Hope it helps.David Shen - MSFT
September 12th, 2008 6:27am

Thanks!smooth water runs deep
September 12th, 2008 11:06am

is it "Still waters run deep"?
June 30th, 2009 9:12pm

Thanks for the info. Actually never really noticed that the CALs are not asked for. Now I was wondering where you actually define the licencing modell and add the CALs xDThanks again helped a lot your information.
October 8th, 2009 10:04am

Hi David, I have a similar question about Team Foundation Server CAL. As I understand, this CAL is the same as the Windows Server 2008 CAL on which it cannot be installed but only kept in hand in case of an audit. Right? Thank you for your clarification. :)
April 6th, 2010 7:47am

Hi guys,Got a different quiz........ we bought 60 CALs for Exchange 2007 last year and installed, we`ve additional 80 CALs and i need to install them......how can i add these CALs.....kindly assist.
April 15th, 2010 3:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics