Where is Cleanmgr.exe (aka Disk Cleanup tool); missing in Windows Server 2008?
I'm running RC0 of Windows Server 2008 and did not see Cleanmgr.exe in the System32 folder. Does anyone know if this is being permanently removed? Or is there an API that can be used to load this program? We have help content that advises users to run the CleanMgr.exe tool and automatically tries to launch it. But sadly, it is not there. Any suggestions appreciated.
October 4th, 2007 6:44pm

Hello Daniel, In windows server 2008 alot of windows features are not installed by default like (WM Player, Desktop Theme , Disk Cleanup or even a photo management software), I met this problem until I got the solution. simply, you just need to install a feature called " Desktop Experience". to install desktop experience, open Server Manager and choose Add feature, then select Desktop Experience to be installed.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 5th, 2007 12:38pm

The Windows 2008 R2 install recommends you to run Disk Cleanup when you do not have enough diskfree for install. It would be nice if the 2008 R2 install added this hint.
October 9th, 2009 12:28pm

When I tried to run disk clean up utility after an upgrade from 2003 to 2008 Server it prompted me to run windows set up because it may heve been deleted! This definitely needs a re-think. Why on earth is this included as part of the desktop experience? Surely this is essential maintenance?? Anyway thanks for the info... Very Helpful...
February 19th, 2010 6:26pm

Hello Daniel, In windows server 2008 alot of windows features are not installed by default like (WM Player, Desktop Theme , Disk Cleanup or even a photo management software), I met this problem until I got the solution. simply, you just need to install a feature called " Desktop Experience". to install desktop experience, open Server Manager and choose Add feature, then select Desktop Experience to be installed. hi Will I need to reboot the server after adding clean up feature? thans
June 1st, 2010 12:16pm

hi Will I need to reboot the server after adding clean up feature? thans Yes, unfortunately to complete the installation the server requires a reboot which can be a little inconvenient.
June 1st, 2010 1:37pm

Thanks. It solved my problem.
June 11th, 2010 2:50pm

leave it to ms, that if you are out of space you have to install extra applications just to "help" fix the issue. so know matter what you have to clean it yourself to have the OS clean its temp files, folders, internet files and system dumps etc. Good note tho, its doesn't compress older files by default like older ms versions. what a performance killer. honestly this application is so small it should be there by default like defragment is. why does MS do stupid things like this... its just bites them in the @$$ afterwards to space a MB at the cost of 100's with media player, defender etc. sure i can manually do this myself but its so small 208KB.
August 3rd, 2010 7:22pm

Hi MadsK, My server is almost running out of disk space (100MB disk space left). And if I have to install the Desktop Experience, would you think it can fit in the required disk space for this installation? What is the disk space required to install this Desktop Experience? Or, is there a way that I can used directly the Disk Clean Up Tool without installing this Desktop Experience? Your reply is highly and very much appreciated. Thank you for your time. normanchiutan@yahoo.com.
August 19th, 2010 7:32am

Hi, FYI you dont need to install the addtional features, the files are on your system drive and just need copying over. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(WS.10).aspx Hope this helps!
August 20th, 2010 4:36pm

Thank u.....
September 23rd, 2010 6:03pm

This is a bogus, and horrible move by Microsoft... Disk Cleanup is a system tool... as such it should be installed by default, and not hidden someplace DUMB like the "Desktop Experience"... Requiring a reboot for this too means I question ever more how M$ expects people to be able to run their servers in a production environment... "Oh sure, let me just reboot my primary fileserver in the middle of the day, it'll only affect roughly 300 users...." /wtf
November 30th, 2010 10:10am

Great now I have "Ink and Handwriting Services" when all I wanted to do was free up some space. /wtf
December 11th, 2010 3:38am

@ J_WILDE and EVH Re my post above, you do not need to install the additional features or reboot, just copy a couple of files: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(WS.10).aspx
December 13th, 2010 9:42am

This reference contains an error: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff630161(WS.10).aspx Windows Server 2008 64-bit C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-cleanmgr_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_c962d1e515e94269\cleanmgr.exe.mui Should Be: Windows Server 2008 64-bit C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-cleanmgr_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_c962d1e515e94269\cleanmgr.exe
July 4th, 2011 2:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics