Where in Windows 2012 R2 do I find RDS client session information?

The Server Manager\Remote Desktop Services\Collections view gives me some information, but in Windows 2008 R2 and earlier I could also see the following per client:

1) IP Address

2) Host name

3) Screen resolution and depth

4) Client name (PC name)

5) Client build number

when right clicking on a name and selecting Status in Remote Desktop Services Manager.  Where do I find similar information in Windows Server 2012 R2?

January 11th, 2014 4:06am

Hi,

Please check if this FAQ could help you.

[Forum FAQ] How to manage RDS user connections and processes in a RDS 2012 deployment

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1d571c01-69ff-4508-af0f-d7eeecd806b6/forum-faq-how-to-manage-rds-user-connections-and-processes-in-a-rds-2012-deployment?forum=winserverTS

Thanks.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2014 10:36pm

Thanks, that is interesting.  The Activity Monitor does have a field for Client Name, however it appears to be incomplete and incorrect for me - showing only 3 client names for 10 connected users, with two of the client names being the same - which I know is impossible in this case.  Also, I do not get the IP address or OS version from this.

I also tried Get-RDUSerSesion | fl which did not yield anything more than what I already get from the collections view. 

• Edited by pwnell Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:49 PM
January 12th, 2014 11:48pm

Thanks, that is interesting.  The Activity Monitor does have a field for Client Name, however it appears to be incomplete and incorrect for me - showing only 3 client names for 10 connected users, with two of the client names being the same - which I know is impossible in this case.  Also, I do not get the IP address or OS version from this.

I also tried Get-RDUSerSesion | fl which did not yield anything more than what I already get from the collections view. 

• Edited by pwnell Sunday, January 12, 2014 8:49 PM
January 12th, 2014 11:48pm

Hi,

A single user can have multiple sessions to the same session host server. Would you please let us know more details about the duplicate client names and empty client names.

Meanwhile, based on my test, a console or a disconnected session will not have the client name displayed.

Regarding the IP address, I think we can get it via nslookup client name.

Thanks.

January 16th, 2014 10:36am

Hi pwnell,

I would like to check if you need further assistance.

Thanks.

January 23rd, 2014 4:16am

Hi,

I tried nslookup on the host name - did not work as these names do not seem to be registered in the server's DNS records. The duplicate client names and empty names is due to a bug in Task Manager - it does not refresh the user list.  You have to close / reopen Task Manager for it to update that list.  Once done the list was in sync with my expectations.

I still have no clear way of accessing the client's IP address or workstation OS info like I did in 2008 R2.

January 23rd, 2014 8:51pm

there are a couple of old CLI tools which may work

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775998(v=ws.10).aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725766.aspx

there are also a lot of custom modules out there which may work

January 24th, 2014 1:21am

Thanks for the links.  I looked but none of the built in utilities have the required info.  I did find this link:

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/PSTerminalServices

Running Get-TSSession in PowerShell resulted in the detail I needed - both the client name and IP address per session, as well as the client build number.

Thanks for all the help.

• Marked as answer by pwnell 12 hours 40 minutes ago
January 25th, 2014 5:49pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics