Where do I find the password and username to log in to my ftp site from another PC
I'm a complete newbie to this sort of thing, and am startingschool onnetworking soon. So for now, I'm trying to get a rundown on "the basics". I really didn't want to come here for such a simple question, but I'veasked elsewhere and did google searches and either I'm not asking the right question, or nobody seems to know/care.Hereis the rundown on what I have done, perhaps you may find an error:1. Installed Windows Server 20082. Set Up a static IP address on the Server 2008 PC3. Port Forwarded my Netgear Router to Start port 20, end port 21 on the IP address of the Server 2008 PC4. Enabled Feature Wireless LAN Service (It is currently on wireless temporarily)5. Added role: Web Server IIS 6.0 6. Added FTP Site called Johnny, using the IP address for the PC (I also tried "use all unassigned), and selected "Do Not Isolate Users", and selected a folder on my desktop for the home directory. Everything is good so far, no errors.7. Right Click Johnny FTP Site, and selected startNow, on my spare PC, I typed in the Internet Port (not lan port) address of my router (Ex. 10.200.100.100), and I get This pop up box asking for username and password:This is where I'm stumped. I've typed in, under user name:IUSR_WIN-..... (The name of my 2008 Server PC), and just WIN-....., and tried the password for my Server 2008 Log-in, as well as several others with both user names. The box just keeps resetting back to empty spaces.I also tried logging in anonymously, and it gives me an e-mail address option, I tried the default address and for the heck of it I tried my current msn e-mail address (Like I said, I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of).I know this is easy to find, perhaps this step by step setup I just explained will help someone help me find out what I am doing wrong. Remember, this is my first FTP site, so I am a newbie at this.
August 17th, 2008 4:38pm

Hi, According to your description, I built a test environment on my side and successfully access my FTP site. I suspect the main reasons might be related to user authorization and network traffic. 1. User authorization On FTP, you can configure the following two kinds of authorization method. 1)Anonymous FTP authentication If we choose 'allow Anonymous connection' in Security Accounts of FTP site properties, client will use Anonymous account for FTP access. Anonymous account named IUSR_<your computer name> is created during IIS setup. If you choose 'allow Anonymous connection', we must ensure the password we input in 'Security Accounts' is the same as its real password that we define in local users and groups. 2)Basic FTP authentication If we uncheck the box 'allow Anonymous connection' in Security Accounts of FTP site properties, all users that attempt to access FTP site have to input their account and password for authorization. In order to successfully access resources on FTP site, we should grant users the corresponding permissions. To do so, right-click FTP and choose permissions. Please note in this way the authenticated user password will transfer in a plain text way on the internet. Some attackers can easily obtain the user password by using the some monitor software. Please ensure you have correctly configured FTP authorization method. Then, please test locally to access this FTP site and see if you can access it. If so, then test on other PCs. If other PCs fail, I suspect this problem may be related to firewall, which is enabled by default on windows serve 2008. Please disable it on Windows server 2008 temporally to test the result. For more detailed information about how to create a FTP site, visit: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Creating-Configuring-FTP.html Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 19th, 2008 11:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics