When I install KB951487 DotNet 3.5 SP1 stand alone, the MBSA tool still says it needs to be installed
Using MBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security and latest CABs to scan for patches required on isolated Windows 2003 SP2 Servers. I successfully install KB951487 DotNet3.5 SP1. It installs with no errors and the Control Panel "Add/Remove Programs" shows it is installed but every following MBSA Scan says it needs to be installed. This causesevery person updating theserver to install this patch over again.
December 8th, 2009 10:36pm

Hi, This could be an update reoffering issue. As you have already installed this update, I suggest safely hiding it. After that, you will not be prompted to install this update again. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 9th, 2009 5:06am

Tim, Thanks for the suggestion.I am running MBSA from a cmd file. I don't know of any option to hide an update. After the patch is installed, MBSA is run again to verify that all patches are now installed. This is when I get the messsage that the referenced patch needs to be installed. If I run systemInfo, I don't see that KB number but that isn't surprising. I get new CABs monthly and since I rotate checking the servers, I never really know what was installed previously except for what MBSA reports.Three are three of us cycling through over 100 servers so this is very time wasting to keep reinstalling the same patch, especially since we have to FTP the files to the server. All are in remote locations. Any othrer ideas would be really appreciated. Regards, Dennis
December 9th, 2009 5:47pm

Hi Dennis, You can try one of the following ways to hide KB951487: Hide from Windows Update website ============================== At this point, I suggest we hide this optional driver update from the Windows Update website: Install the update, and then hide the update so that the update is not displayed again. To hide an update, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click either Windows Update or Microsoft Update. 2. Click Custom. 3. Click to clear the check box that is next to the update that you want to hide. 4. Expand the update KB951487, and then click to clear the Don't show this update again check box. 5. Click Review and install updates. Hide from Windows Automatic Update ============================== Step One: Modify setting of Automatic Update. (If the setting has already changed, ignore this step) ------------------------------------------------ First we set Automatic Update to "Notify me but don't automatic install or download it": 1. Click Start, click Run, enter "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) and then press Enter. 2. On the Automatic Updates tab, select the option "Notify me but don't automatic install or download it", and then click OK. Step Two: Hide certain updates in Automatic Update ------------------------------------------------ 1. When the Automatic Update icon appears at the right bottom of the screen, please double click it. If pop up a window with two option: a. Express Install b. Custom Install (Advanced) Please choose the Custom Install (Advanced) 2. Now a new window will pop up. Please clear the check boxes in front of KB951487 under the Choose Updates to download field. 3. Click Download at the bottom. Now the Hide Updates window will pop up. Please check the check box in front of "Don't notify me about these updates again." 4. Click OK. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2009 10:11am

Tim,Thanks for the effort but no joy! The Servers I am administering are "locked down". They are in secure zones at remote locations with outside access very strictly limited. They cannot use or see the Update Web Site. As I mentioned earlier, I download the latest CAB files and then use MBSA to create an outputlog file listing missing updates. The log is copied back to the Service Center via FTP. the stand-alone Patches zipped up and using FTP, downloaded to the site and then installed. There is no outside interaction or connection to the internet. My issue is still that every engineer that runs MBSA thinks that the KB951487 needs to be installed.Any other suggestions?Dennis
December 17th, 2009 6:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics