What should be the max degree of parallelism value?

Dear Team,

I have SQL Server Version:-

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2) - 10.50.4000.0 (X64)   Jun 28 2012 08:36:30   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition with Advanced Services (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor) 

This is just an UAT server which has OS and hardware detail below:-

SP:- SP1

Processor :- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU  X5650 @2.67GHz 2.66 GHz

RAM : - 4 GB

Bit - 64 bit

I want to set the value to max degree of parallelism , can someone please suggest me what value should i configure for the same?

Below is the snap property of SQL instance >> Processor

September 2nd, 2015 2:22am

Hi Chetan, if you haven't read Cindy Gross' description and suggestion for MAXDOP, I'd suggest starting there:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cindygross/archive/2011/01/28/the-ins-and-outs-of-maxdop.aspx

As with many settings, the answer is "it depends".  For your environment, I'd likely leave the default setting of 0 to allow parallelism until you have a need to modify it, such as a high parallelism cost in a query plan.  One additional thing to keep in mind is that many applications that sit on top of SQL Server have suggestions for this value.  Ex:  SharePoint suggests updating MAXDOP to 1.  Thus you may want to revisit this setting in light of what applications will be running on the instance. 

Thanks,
Sam Lester (MSFT) 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 2:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics