What services do I need for my web application in the Windows Azure account?

Hello,

I am planing to migrate a multi-user Access application (consisting of a front- and backend)  to a web application using the Windows Azure environment.
I know how to transfer the backend to a Windows Azure SQL Database (which then is about 1 GB big). But I have no skills and experience to build web forms and data manipulation procedures in a web application; most likely I will hire a contractor to do this.

The number of users of the web application will be about 50 (roles/rights within the web application will be managed by the web application through server or windows authentification); usually not more than 10 will be working simultaneously. The development and administration of the web application will be done by only 2 developers.

Now my questions:

1) What services of the Windows Azure account do I need at least?

2) I Know, I need at least one Windows Azure SQL Database. But I am not sure what Web Site level (cost free, enabled or standard) I need; what impact on the useability of my web application does the Web Site level have?

3) Do I need other services? Like a VM?

Kind regards
Manu

August 5th, 2013 1:20pm

Hi Manu191357,

I believe going minimal would be key, 

here is what I see you would need (at-least)

• SQL Azure subscription (depending on data size you would want to choose the package)
  • Webrole / Website (either one both depending on the solution design your contractor comes up with, I say for the given use and load website should do just fine)

Optionally depending on solution design 

• Blob storage
  • table storage
  • worker role (in case you do some background processing like a windows services)

I don't see a need of VM so far but again its highly driven by the solution design created by your contractor.

let me know if I can offer any help

--------------------------------------

Please mark as answered if it

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2013 3:08pm

Thanks for the proposal; it helped a lot.

You did not mention whether I needed a Windows Azure SQL Database. I still think I need one. Am I correct?

Kind regards

Manu

August 6th, 2013 1:33am

yes you would need it and i did mention it (first bullet point) :)

----------------------------------

Please mark as answered if it was helpful

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 8th, 2013 2:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics