What is traction volume in the performance parameters of a database?

Hi,

We have received a guild lines from the central government agency regarding some standards of database administration policies that have to be implemented. One of it mentions that the DBA shall keep track of the performance parameters like traction volumes, response time and concurrency levels which affects the optimal performance of the database. I would be obliged if any body could enlighten me as to what is the traction volumes is in relation to the performance parameters? Is it simply the database volume/size of the database?

Thanking you in advance,

Binny Mathew

September 6th, 2015 5:05am

That is pretty open ended questions. It should written in the document that response time of every query in the database should not be great than...... Does it make sense? Well , only you know the business rules in the company.

Secondly, there are many important performance parameters to be measure but what parameters exactly do they mean?

concurrency levels? It is pessimistic and optimistic concurrency levels....

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 7:04am

1.  I've never heard the term "traction volume" and apparently neither has Google.

2.  Which government, and which agency?  Can you point to an online copy of this document?

3.  Tracking performance metrics is always a good idea, if they mean data volumes in rows and gigabytes that's fine, if they mean read/write volumes that's different but still good, response time is good but needs to be sorted by the types of transactions, concurrency levels is trickier but transactions per second is a pretty close number and easier to get with SQL Server.

Josh

September 6th, 2015 1:47pm

Hi Uri Dimant,

Thanks for the reply. As you told pretty open ended instructions from the central agency with out much of specifics. Like you told tracking of slow response query could be one of the important things that could be done through the server side trace in the profiler. We are already tracking about 30 counters thru performance monitor sampled every 15 seconds. I understand the default isolation level of the database in Sql server 2008R2 is read commit. Would there be any need to change it and how and through which tracking methods could we conclude to change it.

Thank you

Binny Mathew

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 2:33am

Hi JrStern,

Thank you for the reply? I am sorry that we can cannot point to an online copy as it is deemed confidential. Like you told Google also turned out no answer. We have 90 databases in our system and we are already recording the mdf and ldf size of each database every day into a table from dbo.sysfiles. Could you please let me know how we can get the data volumes of database in rows and also how to get transactions per second in the production server?

Thanking you once again,

Binny Mathew.

September 7th, 2015 2:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics