What is the minimum permission set required to query alert information using OpsMgr 2012 SDK?

Hi,

I am using the OpsMgr 2012 SDK to retrieve alert information from SCOM.

I tried configuring a read-only role for a user account (Group Scope: All, Dashboards & Views: All) but, as I call some of the APIs like Administration.GetAllManagementServers(), Administration.GetAllAgentManagedComputers() etc. I get a UnauthorizedAccessEnterpriseManagementException.

I need to know what are the minimum permissions required for a user to query alert information and to make calls I mentioned above using the OpsMgr 2012 SDK.

Warm Regards

Himanshu Agarwal

March 27th, 2015 10:01am

Hi,

I would like to suggest you use SDK and config account

Or you may try data reader account.

Regards,

Yan Li

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 1:19am

Thanks for the reply.

Just to give you a context, I am writing a client application where a user can fetch alert information from SCOM using OpsMgr 2012 SDK. There could be many users that would use this application, hence I need to know the minimum set of permissions I can grant or add them to a group for easy maintenance.

I believed Read-Only admin role was intended for that purpose but some of the SDK APIs as I mentioned throw the said exception.

I would like to know, how can i create such role/group from SCOM 2012 console.

PS: SDK and Config account is used by SCOM to perform DB operations and I would not like to impersonate this account in my client application. Instead I want to make my clients as admins with just enough permissions to read information. I'll have a better control this way.

March 31st, 2015 7:19am

Is there any documentation around configuring permissions for SCOM SDK APIs?

I do not want my SDK clients to be SCOM Operators (full admins), instead I just want them to be able to get information using SCOM SDK.

Warm Regards

Himanshu Agarwal

April 9th, 2015 6:42am

Hi

I have not tested it but I would try Read-Only Operator this should be sufficient to retrieve and Read the alerts. Your Problem is, that you want to enumerate the Management Servers and this requires Administrator permission. Check this post here http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfuller/archive/2012/05/11/quicktricks-what-user-roles-can-put-a-server-into-maintenance-mode-in-scom.aspx .

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Stefan

April 10th, 2015 1:46am

Administration.GetAllManagementServers(), Administration.GetAllAgentManagedComputers() is under Administration namespace and Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration namespace contains classes and methods that you can use to automate administrative tasks, required Administrator privilege. As a Read-only Operator role can use Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Monitoring namespace to retrieve alert information.
Roger
April 10th, 2015 2:28am

Administration.GetAllManagementServers(), Administration.GetAllAgentManagedComputers() is under Administration namespace and Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Administration namespace contains classes and methods that you can use to automate administrative tasks, required Administrator privilege. As a Read-only Operator role can use Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Monitoring namespace to retrieve alert information.
Roger
April 10th, 2015 6:25am

Roger

Roger

Roger

Roger

Datareader on the DB will suffice
April 13th, 2015 2:25am

So, in effect, there's no way a read-only admin can query all management servers or all agent managed computers?

April 15th, 2015 1:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics