What is the diff between "Enterprise" and "Itanium"  . . . ?
I've spent 6 hours of my employer's billable time to get what I thought would be a straightforward answer from Microsoft (pre-sales technical [PSTech]).No go. Either I'm clueless as to what I'm trying to ask, or I am asking the right question and PSTech staff have nar a clue what I 'm asking; or both!I have a link for info on our HP Itanium server, or HP Integrity rx2600I also have a link for the MS download page for Win2008Server for ItaniumI also have a link for theMS Compare Server Roles and Differentiated Features The web page of the download link above has this text in the filename has these words "EnterpriseServerIA64".The above links for Compare Server Roles and Differentiated Features have two separate columns for Enterprise and Itanium.Wait, Microsoft's website has "EnterpriseServer" in the Itanium download file name, yet "Enterprise" and "Itanium" are separate columns on the Compare Server Roles and Differentiated Features pages.What am I downloading, Enterprise or Itanium? And, is there an Enterprise or Datacenter version of Win2k8Server for Itaniums?And, why is the cost of Itanium $2999, which is the same cost as Datacenter, yet:- has only 11.76% of the features of Datacenter (see the Compare Server Roles page above) - has 0% of the Core Install options of Datacenter, Enterprise, or Standard- has only 70% of Differentiated Features of Datacenter or Enterprise?I'm thoroughly confused.I have an Itanium-base server which I want to deploy Windows Server 2008 on with all the features in DataCenter and/or Enterprise, including SMTP, DNS, Web Services (IIS), Print services, Hyper-V, DHCP, File Services, and Terminal Services.The Differentiated Features and Compare Server Roles pages above show these features are *NOT* part of the Itanium version, yet Microsoft charges the same price as Datacenter which has all these features.What use is an Itanium server, then? Why is the phrase "EnterpriseServer" part of the file name for the Itanium download if it doesn't have Enterprise features?I plead with anyone who an answer these questions, as 3+ hours on the phone with 6 different microsoft PSTech staff and Professional Tech services could not answer my questions. They simply didn't know the answer.Thx in advance, truly.Gary Noter
March 1st, 2008 12:49am

The Itanium SKU has changed significantly from Windows Server 2003. Itanium is now sold per processor, and there is no Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter. It is simply Windows Server 2003 for Itanium Processors. So when you purchase it, you now purchase it for the number of Itanium processors that are in your system. This is the same way Datacenter is sold, but the capabilities of the products are different. Itanium does not have many of the infrastructure functions such as domain controller. It is positioned as a large SQL and line of business server. So, to see the differences, it is best to check the edition comparison charts on Microsoft's site. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2008 3:08am

Hello, Yes, what Tim Cerling said is right on the target. There is no Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter Editions for Itanium-Based systems. Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems is optimized for large databases, line of business, and custom applications providing high availability and scalability with up to 64 processors to meet the needs of demanding and mission-critical solutions. As with Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008 for Itanium will continue to support client-side functionality for administration, management, and server utilities. This workload focus is consistent with the majority of current deployments of Windows Server on Itanium. The following links might be helpful to you: Windows Server 2008 for Itanium-Based Systems Feature Support http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/library/f6857978-ae92-4123-a87b-aa36cb30f3551033.mspx?mfr=true Windows Server/Itanium Frequently Asked Questions http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/bulletins/longhorn/itanium_faq.mspx Regards, Neo Zhu Microsoft Online Community Support
March 3rd, 2008 1:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics