What is the best option to use 6 databases with one instance and 6 databases with 6 instance in one server?

Hello,

I need your help, to answer my question as below:

In one server we need to create 6 databases, I have 2 options to fulfill this requirement.

Option1: Install SQL Server 2008 with one instance then create 6 databases.

Option2: Install SQL Server 2008 with 6 instance then create one database in each instance.

What is the best option ? why?

Regards,

Pitou

January 24th, 2014 3:38am

Hello Pitou,

In common more then one instance are use to divide security / admin permission to different user, e.g. if a user should have SysAdmin permission only for some databases / users groups.

Every instance causes an overhead in resource usage, maintenance etc.

So if you don't have any specific requirements regarding security, then it's much better to use one instance of SQL S

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2014 3:47am

Thanks for your answer !

How about others ? Do you have any idea?

Regards,

Pitou

• Edited by Pitou H 2 hours 24 minutes ago
January 24th, 2014 4:05am

Hello,

I would appreciate If all of you tell me in detail because I am new to SQL Server.

Regards,

Pitou

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 24th, 2014 4:17am

Hi,

As Olaf's pointed out, it depends on what your requirement is.  I look after lots of instances, each of them having lots of databases.  Most instances are on their own dedicated servers, but some are shared.  When a database is moved to an instance, we consider things like: can it be on the same instance as the other databases on that instance, does it require enterprise features, how critical is it, security requirements, how much power does it need, etc, etc.

I agree with Olaf, if you're not bothered, 1 instance should do.

January 24th, 2014 6:13am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics