What is the Implications of disabling admin shares (what will I break)?
We are investigating disabling admin share (c$,d$,admin$ etc). I found a lot of ways to do it id this discussion groups ranging from GPOs to registry settings. But very little guidance or info on what problems we can expect from this change. On standalone machines the impact will probably be very small, but i'm concerned about what can happen in an AD integrated environment. In our environment there is XP, Vista and Win7 workstations as well as MS 2003 and 2008 servers. This is in AD domains based on 2003AD and starting migration to 2008AD MOM and SMS (software distribution and remote control) are used to manage the environments. SCOM/SCCM in future. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks
November 8th, 2009 9:43am

1. With netlogon and sysvol missing, expect all kinds of issues with AD replication, logon of user, issues with GP.2. Exchange server will be probabaly 1st application to malfunction.3. You will not be able to push SCCM client if admin$ is not thereand more.For more http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842715Raj
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2009 9:43pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics