What is happening after authenticate but before the desktop or music plays
I have an issue with a windows 2003 server. I remote desktop to it and after entering credentials I wait for about 30 seconds to hear music and display the desktop. I do folder redirection of the desktop so I am not copying a bunch of files that are located on my desktop. I am just wondering what is occuring during that period of the login process. Thanks
June 12th, 2012 1:04pm

Hi, Is the account you are using to login a local system account or an active directory account? Reason I ask is often DNS can create a huge delay factor if it is configured incorrectly. Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2012 1:40pm

It is an active directory account but I don't think I have a DNS issue. Good point though.
June 12th, 2012 3:26pm

Ensure that your DNS has an entry for your domain (eg. loaldomain.local) and that it points to the DC IP addrress. Likewise ensure that if DHCP is in use that the DHCP server is setting the DNS server IP as primary. As you are running off RDP into server, It may be worth setting the server primary DNS to 127.0.0.1 Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 12th, 2012 3:46pm

Ensure that your DNS has an entry for your domain (eg. loaldomain.local) and that it points to the DC IP addrress. Likewise ensure that if DHCP is in use that the DHCP server is setting the DNS server IP as primary. As you are running off RDP into server, It may be worth setting the server primary DNS to 127.0.0.1 Martin If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
June 12th, 2012 3:46pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics