What happened to Cloud Deployment Projects?

According to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/azure-sdk-dotnet-release-notes-2_6/, Azure Cloud Deployment projects have been deprecated in favor of Azure Resource Group projects. After reading https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/dn872471.aspx as recommended in the release notes, I can't for the life of me figure out how to create a resource group project simply to publish to a cloud service.

What was simple before (adding an existing project as a "Role" under a cloud deployment project and then publishing using a easy to use GUI interface) has now been replaced with a powershell script that has no tutorials or indication on how to publish to an existing cloud service. I understand the potential benefits and flexibility this may have, but what about simple use cases such as myself?

If they had left support in for existing cloud deployment projects I would have no issue with the change, but now after updating to Azure SDK 2.7 I can no longer publish to my Azure Cloud Services.

July 27th, 2015 6:58pm

Hi Ian,

What you are looking for in the SDK 2.6 or later is an "Azure Cloud Service" project. In your new project dialog, browse to Cloud and select the proper project.

Cloud Services through ARM is not supported yet, but you can still create your cloud service deployments the way you used to without problem.

Have a good one

• Proposed as answer by s_lapointe 20 hours 25 minutes ago
  • Marked as answer by Ian Schmitz 15 hours 51 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2015 6:55am

Hi Ian,

What you are looking for in the SDK 2.6 or later is an "Azure Cloud Service" project. In your new project dialog, browse to Cloud and select the proper project.

Cloud Services through ARM is not supported yet, but you can still create your cloud service deployments the way you used to without problem.

Have a good one

• Proposed as answer by s_lapointe Tuesday, July 28, 2015 10:54 AM
  • Marked as answer by Ian Schmitz Tuesday, July 28, 2015 3:28 PM
July 28th, 2015 10:54am

Thank you very much s_lapointe!

This is exactly what I was looking for. The release notes were a little misleading in that it made it seem as the only way to deploy was to use the Azure Resource Group project. I have recreated my deployment project using an Azure Cloud Service and it works as expected.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2015 11:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics