What are the requirements to ssh from unix to windows?
Hi, Can anybody tell me, what is required in windows server 2008 R2, such that, one can ssh from a unix system to this windows system? If possible, can you also suggest what can be used / what is required in unix system to ssh from unix to windows? Thanks in advance.
October 18th, 2012 3:06am

Hi Vinithra, You need to depend on some 3rd party softwares like freeSSHd or opesSSH to enable SSH on windows 2008 R2. Go through the below link its has step by step installation instructions. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/install-ssh-server-windows-server-2008.htmlRegards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 18th, 2012 3:22am

Hello Karthik, If my understanding is correct.? rdesktop is the utility you can use to take RDP of Windows server. Similarly we can use PUTTY utility to take SSH of Unix machines. Note: RDP/remote settings must be configure before accessing any server remotely. Regards, Ravikumar P
October 18th, 2012 3:24am

Hi, Did i read that correct? You need to access your windows host from a unix machine via SSH. Go through the below links on how to connect a SSH from unix box. http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_ssh.htm http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-use-ssh-in-unix-or-linux-shell-script/Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
October 18th, 2012 3:28am

Hi Rafic, Thanks a lot for you reply, but I want to ssh from Unix to Windows. To ssh from unix to windows server 2008 R2 what is required in windows? Should I install any software in windows or any ssh installation required for Windows? When I ssh from unix to windows, it prompts for password and when I enter the password, it says "Permission denied, please try again". Is any authentication, from windows against unix, required for this? Please can you help? Thanks in advance for your extended help.
October 18th, 2012 3:45am

hi Ravi, Thanks a lot for your reply. Let me tell you my requirement first please. I have a batch file in windows (server 2008 R2) and I need to invoke/execute this bat file from a unix system through unix shell script. So, Im using ssh command in the shell script in unix and when I do so, it prompts for password and when I enter the password, it says "Permission denied, please try again". Is any authentication, from windows against unix, required for this? Please help me. Thanks in adnavce for your extended help. Vinithra
October 18th, 2012 3:52am

Ok Rafic. Let me try that and let you know. Thank you so much, Vinithra
October 18th, 2012 3:55am

Hi Vinithra, Whether any the SSH server is already installed on the Windows Server? Which software used ? Make sure that the required type of authentication is set to Windows NT authentication or the softwares own user database. You need to find out how the authorization method is configured on the application to proceed further.Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
October 18th, 2012 3:56am

Hi Rafic, Can we ssh from unix to windows without using any 3rd party software? If we use a 3rd party software, can we ssh from unix through unix shell script? Thanks a lot....
October 18th, 2012 5:04am

Hi Vinithra, SSH is not available on 2008 R2 by default. You have to depend on third party tools to make the windows as a SSH server. http://jeroennotebaertsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/ssh-sftp-server-on-windows-server-2008.html Once you make it as SSH serve you can use any tools like putty or even a unix host to connect the windows box. Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
October 18th, 2012 6:03am

Hi Vinithra, SSH is not available on 2008 R2 by default. You have to depend on third party tools to make the windows as a SSH server. http://jeroennotebaertsblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/ssh-sftp-server-on-windows-server-2008.html Once you make it as SSH serve you can use any tools like putty or even a unix host to connect the windows box. Regards, Rafic If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!
October 18th, 2012 6:15am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics