What are the differences between non-classic and class Azure storages?

In the Ibiza portal, we can see two types of storage accounts listed - classic and non-classic. It seems I cannot find any official document talking about the differences between these two. So I have a couple of questions.

1. What's the difference between classic and non-classic storage?
2. Is the non-classic storage GA?
3. Are there any caveats in using the non-classic storage?

Could you also share official document if there is any?

Thanks!

August 21st, 2015 3:16am

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.I am currently researching to gather more information with regards to your request. I shall revert back to you with an update at the earliest. Sincerely appreciate your patience.

Classic Storage in Azure are Version 1 Storage that you see in the current (old) portal. These Storage accounts doesn't have the new capabilities of Azure Resource Manager (ARM).

The Preview Portal is still a preview portal and may be missing a few features.

Read more about Azure IaaS v2 improvements in virtual machine, compute, storage, ARM and more:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-azurerm-versus-azuresm/

Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 4:50am

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us.I am currently researching to gather more information with regards to your request. I shall revert back to you with an update at the earliest. Sincerely appreciate your patience.

Classic Storage in Azure are Version 1 Storage that you see in the current (old) portal. These Storage accounts doesn't have the new capabilities of Azure Resource Manager (ARM).

Read more about Azure IaaS v2 improvements in virtual machine, compute, storage, ARM and more:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-machines-azurerm-versus-azuresm/

Regards.

August 21st, 2015 8:48am

Hi,

Regards.

Hi,

Regards.

Hi,

Regards.

The new storage accounts are the only ones allowed for use within Resource Groups. Think permissions, access to resources across multiple areas in Azure, etc. 
Hence, using classic storage accounts would limit your capabilities in the preview portal and using Resource Manager features. 
August 24th, 2015 1:11pm

The new storage accounts are the only ones allowed for use within Resource Groups. Think permissions, access to resources across multiple areas in Azure, etc. 
Hence, using classic storage accounts would limit your capabilities in the preview portal and using Resource Manager features. 
August 24th, 2015 5:09pm

1. The difference is the provisioning API used to create and manage the accounts. The underlying storage accounts are the same.

2. It's still in preview.

3. As Tommy said, using classic storage will limit your capabilities in preview portal, and you can't leverage the Azure Resource Manager features.

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

August 24th, 2015 9:47pm

1. The difference is the provisioning API used to create and manage the accounts. The underlying storage accounts are the same.

3. As Tommy said, using classic storage will limit your capabilities in preview portal, and you can't leverage the Azure Resource Manager features.

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

August 25th, 2015 1:45am

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

Best Regards,

Zhaoxing Lu

Thanks Tommy for the answers.

One more question, when (roughly) will non-class storage account GA?

August 26th, 2015 5:23am

I don't know, very difficult to guess on GA timeframes for Preview solutions, besides that we aren't allowed to make "futures" comments on forums as people might hold us too them. Best way to find out is to ask your rep for a Microsoft NDA conversation around the solutions you are interested in. Thanks for marking answers as check marked, we really appreciate that.
September 6th, 2015 1:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics