What are down side migrating Windows 2003 SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Ent Edition to Win 2008 SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Data Centre Edition?

Hi,

What can go wrong or how can I migrate SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Ent Edition Production server to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Data Centre edition.

We are currently moving from server to server (Win 2003 to Win 2008 R2 x64).  Since this case, we are planning to migrate SQL Server 2008 R2 Sp2 ENT edition databases/security/procedures/ETL etc to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 Data Centre edition.  We want to know what can go wrong or which area we may find issues?  What is the easiest way to migrate?  Anything we need to watch out?  

We are also trying to work with our software licensing team to obtain the ENT Edition key.  If we find it in time, we may go straight from ENT to ENT edition.  Worse case, ENT to Data Centre edition.  So, preparing ourself for the migration.  Please advise what can be the down side going ENT to Data Centre edition...  Thanks.

August 23rd, 2015 10:43pm

Migrating from one OS o other as such wont have affect on SQL Server. Its good that you are migrating to Windows 2008 R2.

I would suggest you keep ent edition. If you are planning to migrate SQL Server take full backup of SQL Server user and system databases. Then on new server install SQL Server 2008 R2 enterprise and SP2. Then just first restore user database (mater, masdb and model database) then restore user databases.

Moving to data center edition might make sql server migration bit tricky and are you sure you really require DC edition. I guess ent will do equally good for you

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 23rd, 2015 10:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics