What Is Difference between Workstation and Computer Template in AD CS
Being that both thte computer and workstation template basically serve the same purpose. What is the really big difference as to which template to use?
May 12th, 2011 7:30pm

The computer template can be deployed using Automatic Certificate Request settings to all computers that are domain members running Windows 2000 or greater. You cannot customize any settings on the template other than permissions because it is a V1 template. The Workstation Authentication template can be deployed using AutoEnrollment. This is a combination of GPO applied to the domain or OU containing the target computer accounts and permissions on the certificate template. In addition, you can customize settings (such as validity period, key length) since it is a V2 template. Once issued, the certificates *do* offer the same purpose (computer authentication). Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 12th, 2011 9:22pm

Brian, Thank you very much for that claritive info. I was sure that they both did the same and i had issued a workstation certificate for auto enroll and noticed that it will sit there with an enroll pending rather than being completly issued to the workstation. Does It sit in the pending folder on the CA due to the validity period or is there a time period for this cert to be issued. Thank you for your replys
May 12th, 2011 11:50pm

My guess is that someone modified the default settings on the template to require CA certificate Manager approval. Ensure that the option is not enabled. Brian
May 13th, 2011 12:14am

thank you.. I will check on that setting.
May 13th, 2011 3:59pm

Also, certificates based on the Computer template has both Server Authentication and Client Authentication. Workstation Authentication on the other hand only has Client Authentication.
August 22nd, 2011 3:31pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics