What Firewalls and AntiVirus works today?
As the subject states, I would like to know if there is any AntiVirus and Firewall software that works with Windows Server codename "Longhorn" as of today? I'm running the 2006 CTP of the OS and I have to say that I like it a lot. I'm currently laborating with it a bit to see how it can come in handy in the future. So, basically what I need to know is where I can find any compatible AntiVirus and Firewall software that works with this version? Any suggestions and help are appreciated! Thanks a lot! Tobias ZimmergrenProfessional Developer
January 28th, 2007 7:15pm

My favorite for Windows 2003 Server is ZoneAlarm. Unfortunately, it does not work on Vista. ZoneLabs comment on their web site is: Quote Delivering Security on Windows Vista ZoneAlarm relies upon advanced firewall technologies to offer proactive, preventative security to our customers. While others only scan and remove known threats, ZoneAlarm also stops threats before they reach your computer including new emerging threats. Our operating system firewall (OSFirewall) protects your PC down to the core of the operating system, against rootkits and kernel-level attacks. This robust security requires a deeper level of integration with the operating system than other security solutions. Because Vista is such a major overhaul to the Windows operating system, we are busy in our development efforts to ensure that new Vista-compatible versions of ZoneAlarm will live up to our and your high standards of protection. We anticipate delivering Vista-compatible versions in the coming months after January 2007 (Microsofts Vista planned release date). Due to the different needs and functionality of this new operating system, features and functionality on 2000/XP and Vista may differ from our current release. End Quote I like ZoneAlarm because it has great versatility including the capability of controlling outgoing as well as incoming communications. It also includes virus and spyware detection. There could, however, be some major problems with using ZoneAlarm on Longhorn. One known problem with any add-on security package is that you cannot enable Remote Desktop unless Longhorn's firewall is enabled.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2007 4:36pm

Well, Longhorn and Vista uses the same core components if I'm not mistaken, so if it doesn't work on Vista I bet it doesn't work on Longhorn either unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes open.
January 29th, 2007 9:14pm

I should have added that I did try installing ZoneAlarm on Longhorn before I saw the ZoneLabs announcement. The currently available version will not install on Longhorn.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 29th, 2007 9:21pm

Unfortunately, McAfee works fine with Vista, but has a problem with starting mcshield service under Longhorn 6001. Why?
February 25th, 2007 2:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics