What CD/DVD burning software is supported?
My simple question is this: What CD/DVD burning software is supported on Windows 2008 Standard Server? Background: A client of mine just bought a new HP ML350 G5 (March 2009), which came with a HP branded GSA-H53L (E2C) DVD Rewriter (Manufactured - July 2008) and bundled with Roxio DigitalMedia Plus (circa 2005 (MyDVD v6.1)). When I start the install of the Roxio software, I immediately get a DLA error After Google-ing around, there are known issues with Roxios DLA software, and the drive itself appears to be a discontinued LG OEM model. When the VAR that sold the Server is contacted, they point to HP When HP is contacted, they point to the VAR I have checked the following, and NONE show NAMED support for Windows 2008 Standard Server: - Alcohol 120% - Corel WinDVD 9 - CyberLink Power2Go 6 - Droppix Recorder XE - GEAR PRO Mastering Edition 8.00 - Nero 9 nor BackItUp 4 - NTI Media Maker 8 - Roxio Creator 2009 nor Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate They support Vista, but not NAMED support for Windows 2008 Server, which the Owner of the company wants to see/hear. What we are looking for is a simple, reliable way to burn data to CD/DVD media; create/mount ISO images if need be (example: SQL 2008 install), and maybe take advantage of the LightScribe capabilities of the drive. Can someone out there enlighten me to a product! Thanks in advance, Andrew
May 5th, 2009 9:31pm

Andrew,You just have to keep looking, you already have an extensive list there and non is supported..It seems like you might have to use vista for the moment to burn data.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 5th, 2009 9:42pm

Isaac (and All):At this level, i.e. CD/DVD burning software, how "safe" is Vista software on Server 2008?Andrew
May 5th, 2009 9:59pm

Andrew,When I said Vista, I meant Windows Vista OS. You can install Roxio or any of the CD burner softwares you mentioned on your Vista machine, then map to a drive in the w2k8 server and burn the required dataIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
May 6th, 2009 3:54am

Hi Andrew, You can try ImgBurn. It seems to be compatible with Windows Server 2008 and it is free. http://www.imgburn.com/ Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
May 6th, 2009 4:44am

Tim:Sorry for not responding to this in a month, but the project was put on hold...Anyhow, I did download and install the suggested ImgBurn, and after a quick burn of about 4GBs on the W2K8 box, it does seem to work, and I am able to read the disc on an OLDER DVD drive!Thanks for the Tip/Suggestion!Andrew
June 10th, 2009 9:58pm

Try StarBurn from RocketDivision. It provides CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recording as well as DVD-ROM emulation. You can find it here: http://rocketdivision.com/download_starburn.html . And it is free.
September 16th, 2009 5:43pm

Yep. It may be the case. But, Nero 7 and CD-DVD burning software do not install in win 2k8 server. This is because, the WHQL do to allow it do so. Moreover, win-7, vista and 2k8 server has inbuilt burners and how to activate that in 2k8 server??
January 24th, 2011 11:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics