What -filter attribute can I use to search for this?

I am trying to push an attribute from a group of AD Contacts to their corresponding AD Users.  The Contacts are in AD with their displayName formatted such as "FirstName LastName" or like "Tony Stark".  Their corresponding AD Users are all identified as "LastName, Firstname" or like "Stark, Tony".  I am not sure how to do a "get-aduser" with the searchbase OU included, and how to filter to match the contact to the user so the attributes can be pushed correctly.  I have tried a lot of things, but nothing returns the right AD user. I have thought about reformatting the output of the displayName from the Contact, but it would need to be done manually and there are several hundred of them.

My thought is trying to use whatever search mechanism as the "Find" tool in "AD Users and Computers" field, as it will return the proper AD user, even if the name formatting is different.  It seems to be the only search where the order of the firstname and lastname does not matter when matching the values.

January 14th, 2014 12:42pm

Hi,

I think this is close to what you're looking for:

$strContact = 'Tony Stark'
$arrContact = $strContact.Split(' ')
$filterName = "$($arrContact[1]), $($arrContact[0])"

Get-ADUser -Filter "Name -eq '$filterName'"

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 14th, 2014 1:51pm

Thanks.  I will test this out and let you know.
January 14th, 2014 2:13pm

So each user has a contact object and a user object in AD, and the only link is the RDN (the value of the cn attribute), but in different formats.

If the first name and last name fields in ADUC are filled in (the givenName and sn attributes), or if the displayName of the user is in the same format as the RDN of the contact, then you can use ANR (Ambiguous Name Resolution) and the -LDAPFilter parameter. For example:

$Contact = "John Stark"
Get-ADUser -LDAPFilter "(anr=$Contact)"

More on ANR here: http://www.rlmueller.net/AmbiguousNameResolution.htm

January 14th, 2014 2:35pm

Thanks!

This worked...sorta.  I read the page you sent me, and the issue I have is that some of my users have three or four names.  So, for example...."Anthony Edward Stark".  According to the page, ANR only uses the first space as a break...so it would search for "Anthony" and "Edward Stark" as separate values.  Is there a way to change that?  So it would search for "Anthony Edward" and "Stark"?

January 14th, 2014 3:55pm

Adjustment for variable name lengths:

$strContacts = 'Tony Stark', 'Anthony Edward Stark'

foreach ($strContact in $strContacts ) {

$filterName = "$($arrContact[-1]), "

for ($i = 0 ; $i -lt $arrContact.Count - 1 ; $i++ ) {

$filterName += "$($arrContact[$i]) "

}

$filterName = $filterName.Trim()

}

January 14th, 2014 4:09pm

ANR is a feature of AD and we cannot change how it works. I think Mike's code is a good solution.

January 14th, 2014 4:18pm

Thank you guys so much for helping me on this.  I am reading through this and trying to make sure I understand it all.  I am still a novice with arrays.  I am with it up till "$arrContact = $strContact.Split(' ')".  I don't understand how "$filterName = "$($arrContact[-1]), "" sets the last name using the [-1]?  When the array splits the names, doesn't it start at 0?

Thanks again for all the help.

January 14th, 2014 4:36pm

Here's an overly chatty example that will show you what's happening:

$strContacts = 'Tony Stark', 'Anthony Edward Stark'

Write-Host 'User names:'
$strContacts

Write-Host

foreach ($strContact in $strContacts ) {

Write-Host "Start of loop. Processing $strContact now."

Write-Host

Write-Host "$strContact has been split apart into individual array elements based on a space character. The elements are below:"
    $arrContact

Write-Host

Write-Host 'Start building filterName variable. Index of -1 gets the last element in the array.'
    $filterName = "$($arrContact[-1]), "

$filterName

Write-Host

Write-Host "Loop through the remaining names in the contact. Need to process $($arrContact.Count-1) names."
    for ($i = 0 ; $i -lt $arrContact.Count - 1 ; $i++ ) {

$filterName += "$($arrContact[$i]) "
        Write-Host "filterName variable is now $filterName"

}

Write-Host

Write-Host "Now we need to trim off the trailing space character."
    $filterName = $filterName.Trim()

Write-Host "The final value of filterName is $filterName"

Write-Host

Write-Host 'Attempting to get the user object via Get-ADUser now:'

Write-Host

Write-Host 'End of loop.'
    Write-Host

}

January 14th, 2014 4:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics