What's the best way to migration Oracle to SQL replication (Distributor and Subscriber Databases)?

We are going away from a 2003 Windows Server OS with SQL Server 2008 R2 to a 2012 Windows Server with 2012 SQL Server. Both the distributor and subscriber resides on 2003 Windows Server and the focus will be to migrate those databases to the 2012 SQL Server.  We would also like to avoid sending down a new snapshot due to logic in the replication process (major headache to clean up data).  With that said, what's the best approach in moving the distributor and subscriber databases without having to run a snapshot?  

In theory and needs testing:

1. Work with business users to get downtime

2. Stop sql apply so no new changes are going to the Oracle publisher database

3. Remove subscription, publication and distributor from current replication

4. Oracle DBA to clear out replication related objects - fresh clean slate

5. Use log shipping to apply last t-log and restore db with Keep_Replication

6. Set up new distribution, publication (keep existing object unchanged), and subscriber (without initialization)   

Will this work?

July 31st, 2015 6:14pm

Great article, I was on this one a few weeks ago but it's not what I'm looking for. I already gave oracle to SQL transactional replication set up and now need to move the SQL distributor and subscriber databases to a 2012 SQL server box and would like to know the best way to do it without having to bring over all the data again.
August 1st, 2015 12:18pm

There is no way to do this. You need to recreate and distribution the publication each time with oracle publishing.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2015 7:52am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics