What's eating my E: drive?
Hi, My Win2008 std. server is down to 10G on the 80G E: drive. Disk utilities like Treesize show only 39G used and diskshadow does not report any shadow copies. Any idea how I can find out what is eating up this disk space? Thanks, Robert
July 12th, 2011 3:45pm

I would suggest using du tool from sysinternals it displays per folder disk usage, try it maybe it will provide more realiable results than treesize. Just do not forget it to run in from elevated command prompt. With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog Need help with your systems?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2011 3:49pm

What exactly is the E: Drive used for? Logs? SQL? Simple files and Folders?
July 12th, 2011 4:58pm

There's a wsus database and we had splunk performing some monitoring, but I disabled the splunk and the wsus folders only add up to 5G. DU reports the same size as Treesize. Thanks
July 12th, 2011 5:18pm

Do a search with hidden files and folders allowed and see what is actually there. From what I have seen Treesize is not a reliable means of seeing true size. Also, do you have Recycle Bin enables and how much space is retained for it?
July 12th, 2011 5:32pm

I used DU as you recommended and have enabled viewing hidden files and searched for them as well. I still only see 39G used. The recycle bin has been emptied and is limited to 4G.
July 12th, 2011 6:41pm

Two things to check: 1) Give Administrators Read Only permissions to the System Volume Information and see if contains the "missing data". At least you would know it was a system issue and probably not malicious. WARNING: Don't make any changes to any files in that folder and don't forget to remove any permissions you add when you are done. 2) It could be data in an alternate data stream. This is uncommon, but possible. There are a few ADS viewers available for download. Alternate data streams on files and folders aren't reported when you check the properties of a file or folder, but they sure take up disk space! C Shane Cribbs http://www.georgiatechnologies.com
July 12th, 2011 10:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics