Weird behavior with ReFS?
I can not rename a file with character () in ReFS.

Suppose if the file is random.dat.
Now I want to rename it with .dat

If I replace "random" with "" then windows pops up and says "The folder or file does not exist."
August 3rd, 2014 12:42pm

I can confirm this on an up-to-date Win 8.1 system.

Now how to get rid of the file that's been renamed as such?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 3rd, 2014 2:28pm

your are conforming this bug or you are giving answer ? because I did not understand your answer.

This should not happen in ReFS as it does not happen in NTFS.

It works fine in NTFS but not in ReFS.

August 3rd, 2014 4:14pm

Just confirming the bug.  I'm just another user like you - I have no capability to work on Microsoft file system code.

I just figure that a confirmed bug reported by more than one person will be more likely to be taken seriously by Microsoft.

August 3rd, 2014 4:45pm

If I try to create a file with "" character in ReFS filesystem inside any folder through Explorer then it says "Folder or file does not exist" ??

I create a file and try to rename it with character() then it gives this error. "Folder or file does not exist" in  ReFS.

and after that if you go to previous folder and then go inside again in folder it shows you the file.

and if you open this file then it says this file does not exist do you want to create it.

but everything works successfully in NTFS.

Steps :

1.Lets say you have volume D with Refs formatted. (I tried on 2012 R2 and windows 8.1)

2.you go inside and create one file say random.dat

3. try to rename it (replace "random" with "" so you will make like .dat)

4. Now it gives "Folder or file does not exist"

5. Now if you are not seeing this file then open new window and go inside volume D.

6. Now you will see this file .dat

7. open with notepad now it will say "this file does not exist do you want to create"

8. now you say ok lets create.

9. Write some data inside that fille and close it.

10. now right click on file and see properties you will not be seeing create time and all and no allocation size.

Refs create problem only with this character (,ascii value = 255). why ??

Is there any limitation??

And if you will use this character with any other character then we can create file , works fine.

why this weird behavior with Refs.?

It seems like bug in ReFS.

I have asked at lot of place but not getting proper reply from microsoft.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/71a31eca-ad3a-4bf7-976b-8e09fa3640e7/weird-behavior-with-refs-it-seems-like-bug-in-refs-file-system?forum=w8itprogeneral

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/a45d83e8-e255-4f6a-b0e4-a5e1e2555c75/weird-behavior-with-refs?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/weird-behavior-with-refs-it-seems-like-bug-in-refs/89ec0d6a-e7a2-4138-9c5e-a9579cc8cd7d

August 4th, 2014 7:00am

Hi,

I tried and got the same result as yours.

Meanwhile I noticed that if I copied a file named .txt from a NTFS drive to a Refs drive, it could be accessed, modified or deleted. 

So currently as a workaround to help you delete the file named with "", create a file with same name on a NTFS drive and copy it to overwrite it on the Refs drive - you can rename the file once it is overwritten - please input a valid file name without "" (or it will fail again).

August 5th, 2014 7:57am

According to you I created this file in NTFS and wrote some data.

Now I copy this file to ReFS file system type volume.

Now just right click on the file and click properties.

Now I see size as 0 though we have written some data into that file and we can see on NTFS.

Also I can not see :

Created: , modified:, Accessed: as empty on ReFS.

why ?

And why it is failing ? Is it a bug ?
August 5th, 2014 9:01am

Shaon Shan wrote:

I noticed that if I copied a file named .txt from a NTFS drive to a Refs drive, it could be accessed, modified or deleted. 

So currently as a workaround to help you delete the file named with "", create a file with same name on a NTFS drive and copy it to overwrite it on the Refs drive - you can rename the file once it is overwritten - please input a valid file name without "" (or it will fail again).

Thank you, that enabled me to delete the offending file.

August 5th, 2014 5:14pm

Hi AnkitBhatia2013,

Currently I cannot say it is a bug as it need to be defined by product team. I tried to add French to see if it will start supporting this letter but also failed. 

Also it seems that the letter is the only one which cause the issue and even or  do not have the issue.

Meanwhile I'll try to report this issue and see if there is any inform

August 6th, 2014 2:08am

Thanks shaon.

Please update this thread whenever you get any information.

August 6th, 2014 7:41am

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. I'm waiting for a conclusion on this issue and now an internal case is opened. If any new update I'll post back. 

August 21st, 2014 2:27am

Yeah, Sure.

Thanks a lot.

August 21st, 2014 5:12am

Maybe, this hotfix resolve this problem.

You cannot open files on ReFS in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2 if the file names contain Greek characters
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3046304
July 20th, 2015 10:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics