Website for Cloud Service with Web Role not popping up

I am using Visual Studio 2015. I followed the instructions on how to create a Web Role inside a Cloud Service using the following instructions:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-bus-dotnet-multi-tier-app-using-service-bus-queues/

I completed everything in the 'Create a Web Role' section up to (and including) step 12.

Problem: When I run an instance of just the web role, a website pops up. When a run the cloud service that contains the web role, a website does NOT pop up.

---------------

In case these are relevant, here are the Build and Debug outputs:

----------------------------------------------------

Build:

1>------ Build started: Project: MultiTierApp, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------

1>FrontendWebRole(0,0): warning WAT190: The project 'FrontendWebRole' targets .NET Framework 4.5.2. To make sure that the role starts, this version of the .NET Framework must be installed on the virtual machine for this role. You can use a startup task to install the required version, if it is not already installed as part of the Microsoft Azure guest OS. For more details, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=309796.

========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

-----------------------------

Debug:

'WaIISHost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: RdRuntime): Loaded 'c:\users\carpat\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MultiTierApp\MultiTierApp\csx\Debug\roles\FrontendWebRole\approot\bin\Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.EntityFramework.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'WaIISHost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: RdRuntime): Loaded 'c:\users\carpat\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MultiTierApp\MultiTierApp\csx\Debug\roles\FrontendWebRole\approot\bin\Microsoft.AspNet.Identity.Owin.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'WaIISHost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: RdRuntime): Loaded 'c:\users\carpat\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MultiTierApp\MultiTierApp\csx\Debug\roles\FrontendWebRole\approot\bin\EntityFramework.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

'WaIISHost.exe' (CLR v4.0.30319: RdRuntime): Loaded 'c:\users\carpat\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\MultiTierApp\MultiTierApp\csx\Debug\roles\FrontendWebRole\approot\bin\System.Web.Mvc.dll'. Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Information: 200 : Role entrypoint . CALLING   OnStart(): FrontendWebRole.WebRole

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Information: 202 : Role entrypoint . COMPLETED OnStart(): FrontendWebRole.WebRole

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Information: 203 : Role entrypoint . CALLING   Run(): FrontendWebRole.WebRole

The thread 0xc70 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Verbose: 500 : Role instance status check starting

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Verbose: 502 : Role instance status check succeeded: Ready

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Verbose: 500 : Role instance status check starting

Microsoft.WindowsAzure.ServiceRuntime Verbose: 502 : Role instance status check succeeded: Ready

The thread 0x35c0 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The thread 0x1fc4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The program '[12180] iisexpress.exe: Program Trace' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The program '[12180] iisexpress.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The program '[4360] WaIISHost.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

The program '[4360] WaIISHost.exe: Program Trace' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

September 13th, 2015 3:17pm

Hello CharlieBrownMSDN,

Odd; I am not sure off-hand but please check the following:

• Expand you cloud project and verify your Roles contains a reference to your website (from your trace it looks like it)
  • Open the cloud project properties and verify in the development section you have Use web project ports set to true
  • On the Web tab verify the settings correspond to the same settings as your website (in other words if you are using IIS Express then make sure both are set to IIS Express)
  • Select the properties of the web Role and check the Configuration panel and verify the startup action is set correctly

Good luck,

Jeff

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 6:12pm

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I verified all of your steps, all of them check out.

I did notice that, when I run a Web Role instance by itself, a Microsoft Azure Emulator is not needed. However, when I run the Cloud Service, the Azure Compute Emulator and the Azure Storage Emulator starts up (without obviously starting up a website).

Is there maybe a problem there?

September 13th, 2015 9:48pm

Hmmm.  Note sure.  Do you see any errors in eventviewer for system or application that might be related?

The behavior you describe above is correct (emulator only runs when cloud project).

The only other think I can think of is to verify your emulator version is the latest and/or matches the SDK.

I had a search for similar issues but had no luck finding something.  Sorry to not be able to help, please post when you find a solution (even if it is restarting you PC!).

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 13th, 2015 10:08pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics