WSUS VM Export

I recently exported our WSUS server, which was a Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Virtual Machine living on a Server 2008 R2 Enterprise host server to a new Server 2012 Datacenter host server.  I imported the server there, configured settings as needed and started it up with no issues...  Or so I thought.

My WhatsUpGold server informed me that my WSUS Update Service never kicked back on and it still hasn't.  I have searched high and low and haven't found why that is, short of someone's post that referenced a GUID being different and that possibly causing issues, but no way to correct it found.

Is it possible to fix this issue I'm having at this point or is the only way to correct this to take down the new WSUS imported VM, fire the old WSUS VM back up and then do what I've read a lot about, which is installing a fresh VM, installing WSUS, setting the new VM to be a mirrored copy of the original WSUS VM and then setting the new VM to be autonomous?

Would definitely prefer the former if it's just an easy fix somehow, but if not, I guess I have no option but to go the other route.

Let me know please and thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide!

September 9th, 2015 4:03pm

Any suggestions would be most appreciated - have this box hard down at this time!

Thanks again in advance!

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 7:26pm

Thought I would try once more.  Can someone please help me?
September 11th, 2015 2:55pm

Hi,

Have you append the port 8530 after the url of the WSUS server? WSUS changes the default port after v6.2.

• On WSUS 3.2 and earlier, port 80 for HTTP and 443 for HTTPS
  • On WSUS 6.2 and later (at least Windows Server 2012), port 8530 for HTTP and 8531 for HTTPS

Here is the screenshot of my lab:

If the setting is correct, please check if you have followed the link below to migrate the WSUS server:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh852339.aspx

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2015 1:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics