WSUS No Longer Downloading Updates

I deployed WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2 since April last year and everything has been working well since then until some weeks ago when I noticed that approved updates were no longer being downloaded. The update files had accumulated to several gigabytes but the download status remained at approximately 34 MB for days.

I checked everything and no event log errors, Windows update works fine; Synchronization works fine as well on the WSUS server. I  have uninstalled and installed again twice. Removed the Windows Internal Database folder and content, changed the download location, etc and yet its not working.

Now, based on my lean approvals, I have just 42 files to download which just a over 300 MB in total, yet download status remains 0.00 MB.

Any suggestions p

May 27th, 2015 11:38am

Is there any error messages in the event viewer?

Also check your firewall which might be blocking the downloads.

Thanks,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 12:01pm

Thanks Arijit_Dey, but its not that as well. I disabled the firewall completely and it still did not work, even after a restart of WSUS
May 27th, 2015 12:49pm

Am 27.05.2015 schrieb MercyBrew:

Thanks Arijit_Dey, but its not that as well. I disabled the firewall completely and it still did not work, even after a restart of WSUS

Have a look in %programfiles%\Update
Services\??\SoftwareDistribution.log. An look in your Hardwarefirewall
or in your Gateway to the Internet.

Did you click Syncronize now? After Synchronize is not successfull,
you must find some entrys in Eventvwr.msc.

May 27th, 2015 4:22pm

Am 27.05.2015 schrieb MercyBrew:

Have a look in %programfiles%\Update
Services\??\SoftwareDistribution.log. An look in your Hardwarefirewall
or in your Gateway to the Internet.

Did you click Syncronize now? After Synchronize is not successfull,
you must find some entrys in Eventvwr.msc.

May 28th, 2015 8:02am

Is there any error logged in the event viewer?
May 28th, 2015 6:11pm

Hi,

If WSUS failed to download the update, event 364 should be logged in the event viewer.

Please try to find these events. They will tell us the reason why download was failed.

Best Regards.

June 16th, 2015 9:09am

Hi,

This is kinda long shot, but have checked that your download share has enough free space left?

Best Regards,

Veikko Rasila

June 16th, 2015 9:37am

Hi,

If WSUS failed to download the update, event 364 should be logged in the event viewer.

Please try to find these events. They will tell us the reason why download was failed.

Best Re

June 18th, 2015 9:15pm

Hi,

This is kinda long shot, but have checked that your download share has enough free space left?

Best Regards,

Veikko Rasila

The drive has more than enough free space VeikkoRa. It is in fact a full TeraByte.
June 18th, 2015 9:17pm

Did you sort this? If so, let us know how. Thanks
July 4th, 2015 1:40pm

Did you sort this? If so, let us know how. Thanks

I'm happy to inform you that the issue is resolved. Sorry to admit that I had nothing to do with it.  Just abandoned it for weeks and then noticed about a week ago that it had started downloading again.

The only thing I changed was giving it a dedicated public address on our NAT/Firewall through which it gets to the Internet. After I did this I restarted it and monitored it for a while with no improvement and gave up. A week later I just notice that the download status had changed significantly and every time I refreshed the status showed progress.

If you ask me, I think the problem found away to just resolve itself

July 5th, 2015 3:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics