WSE 2012 User Accounts

Can I? & how do I allow a standard user to have local admin rights on their own PC/Laptop after joining with the connector to server 2012 essentials.

After joining it's as if they are on a limited account and cannot do some things without the panel showing that asks for the admin user details. 

Thanks

Webdoc

June 30th, 2013 6:05pm

Hi Webdoc:

You can, but you should not.  On the local computer - control panel - users.  Add the domain user as a local user and make them a local admin.

But a better solution is to make a local user with the same name and password.  The domain user will be prompted for credentials when installing software or printers, but they simply have to enter:

machine_name\User_name

Password

to be allowed to proceed.

Much more secure and slows people down from installing unwanted programs.  But more importantly it keeps out most self installing malware.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2013 3:42am

Hello Larry

Thanks for that answer it helped, maybe you could help me with something else now, when I have an already domain joined pc/laptop that say I needed to either format and reload, or replace with a system image that was taken before that pc/laptop was domain joined, how would I go about re-joining that pc/laptop back to the server.

As my only option just now that I can see is to re-image the server back to before any pc/laptop was connected to it, or will re-connecting just overwrite the previous connection?

If it is more than just overwriting could you point me to a guide on the steps needed to re-connect an already domain joined pc/laptop after a format?

Thanks

Webdoc

July 2nd, 2013 12:50pm

To rejoin a system that has been reimaged to the domain you can either:  From the console, remove the computer once it no longer exists, or, change the computer name.  In either case you then run the connect wizard as you did when you first joined the computer to the domain.

In all cases you would want to copy any user data to a save place, either manually or with tools such as selective backup or Windows Easy Transfer.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 2nd, 2013 2:39pm

Hello Larry

Thanks again I had assumed with server 2012 being domain joined that it was more involved to re-join a pc/laptop back to it.

I have had a server since windows home server v1 though 2011, and did not think that the re-joining process was more or less the same, from what I can see then it's just the extra data that is auto saved to the File History Backups, Client Computer Backups & that users own data folder on the server that I need to backup before re-moving and re-joining a pc/laptop back to the server.

Am I right in my above assumption?    

Also do you know if server 2012 R2 will be a free upgrade, like the windows 8.1 upgrade is?

Thanks

Webdoc

July 3rd, 2013 5:14am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics