WSD port delete
We are running Server 2008 64bit and Print Manager, in the setup of the printers when I did not use the check box to auto detect the print driver to use the system created a WSD printer port based on iPv6. We wanted a TCP/IP port so I created the TCP/IP port and then attached it to the printer. My problem is that I cannot delete the WSD printer port. It is not used by any printer but the system will not allow the delete
November 8th, 2010 4:20pm

The spooler will delete the port only if it is assigned to a printer and one deletes the printer.  Create a fake printer using this port and a preinstalled driver, then delete the printer.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2010 9:28pm

I tried as you suggested and it worked great. Just wanted to keep this up to date if anyone else is having similar issues. Sometimes you never hear if the fix worked or not. I added a printer using that port and then went back and deleted the printer. After a few minutes the WSD port was gone. I did hit refresh on the ports listing.
August 29th, 2013 8:39pm

in Windows 8 / Server 2012 the powershell command , remove-printerport will remove WSD ports that did not get removed when the printer was deleted.  Thanks for bringing this back so I would add the powershell command.

remove-printerport -name WSDPORTNAME -computer Server2008R2machine

August 29th, 2013 8:54pm

I did try adding a test Queue and delete the queue but failed to remove the WSD port...

However PS tip above works.....

March 7th, 2014 4:45am

I did not try the powershell command, but the initial resolution of creating a fake printer using the WSD port and then deleting it worked.
August 14th, 2014 7:59pm

the printer port is only removed if you removed the printer via the local MMC, if you remove it via a remote MMC it remains
June 3rd, 2015 1:37pm

I had inadvertently created about 15 WSD ports on a 2012R2 server. I ran the above command but substituted the port name for wsd* and it deleted all WSD ports. Hope that helps. 
June 26th, 2015 1:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics