WS2012 - CSVs changed volume name / mount point and need to fix?
First, a little background just in case. Today I ran a migration from a 2008 R2 cluster to 2012 on same hardware. I evicted one node and rebuilt as 2012. Then ran migration wizard with no errors. Everything seemed fine except one of my CSVs couldn't come online and kept claiming the node wasn't an owner. The only fix we could find was removing the CSV disk totally and re-adding it. This seemed to break the Cluster role for that VM and we ended up recreating the VM and just pointing it to existing VHD. It seemed to start and run fine after that. We then brought up some other servers on other CSV and they seemed fine. Question: At some point after the above two of the CSV swapped Volume labels it seems. The disk that was Volume 4 swapped with 2. This has now broken all the Cluster Roles for all VM on those two disks. My question is can I swap it back without breaking all the VM? Any help and guidance greatly appreciated, production stuff down right now.
May 19th, 2013 5:58am

Apparently it was as easy as renaming the folder in C:\ClusterStorage. Wish I knew why it happened though?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 19th, 2013 8:28pm

Hi, We cant rename ClusterStorage folder name. On a failover cluster that uses Cluster Shared Volumes, the files used for clustered virtual machines are stored and accessed by Hyper-V using the \ClusterStorage path on the system drive. For example, on a node that runs the operating system from the C drive, the path would be as follows: C:\ClusterStorage\ The failover cluster provides a unique folder name for each volume under this path. An example is as follows: C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 The volume folder name can be renamed, but the ClusterStorage folder cannot be renamed. An example of a path with a volume folder with a changed name is as follows: C:\ClusterStorage\VMGroupA > My question is can I swap it back without breaking all the VM? What did you mean swap it back? Give us more information about your question. Some useful links: Deploying Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) in Windows Server 2008 R2 Failover Clustering http://blogs.msdn.com/b/clustering/archive/2009/02/19/9433146.aspx Cluster Shared Volumes Support for Hyper-V http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd630633(v=WS.10).aspx Hope this helps! TechNet Subscriber Support If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.Lawrence TechNet Community Support
May 20th, 2013 1:33am

I already fixed it but I will try to explain it in more detail in case others have same problem. Cluter Disks: 1 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 2 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2 3 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3 4 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume4 Reboot and then: 1 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1 2 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume4 3 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume3 4 - C:\ClusterStorage\Volume2 Every virtual machine on volume 2 and 4 is instantly broken saying it can't find resources. That is what I meant by swap it back. Something mysteriously swapped it to begin with. As I said in my second post we solved it however with assistance from PSS. They had us simply rename the folder from explorer in the C:\ClusterStorage folder. Then just as mysteriously as it started it was fixed.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2013 7:42am

Hi, Very glad to know that we now has a solution to resolve this issue. As mentioned above, failover cluster name can be renamed. But why the volume name changed automatically, that is odd, I dont find any articles mentioned this. Check cluster node server event viewer, are there any abnormal error logs, or is there the logs which mentioned the volume name change event?Lawrence TechNet Community Support
May 21st, 2013 2:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics