WS2012R2 Essentials - Boot Configuration Data file missing some required information

Hi all:
Badly in need of help recovering my WS2012R2E machine.  Without going into a big backstory, I discovered the machine powered off when I could not access shares.  Powered it back on and received an Recovery Message:
-------
Recovery

Your PC needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file is missing some required information.

File: \BCD
Error Code: 0x000000d
-----

I booted the DVD media and then attempted to read the backup files off the previously-configured USB backup drive but the system will not see that drive at all.  

I tried the following things to fix the BCD/MBR issue:

1)    Boot commands
a.    BCDedit Errored with The boot configuration store could not be opened
b.    Bootrec /Fixmbr & /Fixboot - both came back successful
c.    bootrec /rebuildbcd gives an error that The requested system device cannot be found
d.    BCDBoot c:\Windows  - Errored with Failure when attempting to copy boot files
e.    System File Checker (SFC) Ran that with no problem I believe it found and repaired an error
2)    Tried using Startrep.exe  It ran but could not fix the issue.
3)    Found a tip to run change the MBR Partition to a different letter (Z) then use BCDBoot to run this command BCDBoot c:\Windows /s z: /f: all  - This came back successful
4)    BUT rather than a Error Code: 0x000000d, I now get a Error Code: 0x000000f.

Am thinking of running the following next: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Lastly, my data drives appear to be fine I read the contents in CMD mode no problem.  Thinking about just copying the data off the drives and then doing a full restore
BUT seeing as theyre part of a drivepool (4, 2Tb drives)  will I get all the data off safely and intact?

-OR-

Disconnect the drives, doing a full install and then reconnect them wondering if my data will be readable within the new install.?

Ill tackle the backup image problem after I get a new reinstall done because apparently theres something more I need to do THERE. (Bootable USB?  But I thought WS2012 did all that for you  ugh)

Cant lose the data on the data drives. But I am out of ideas so any help is appreciated.  

Thanks,
Bill.

August 19th, 2015 1:25pm

Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that WS 2012 R2 Essentials cant startup. Neither automatically startup repair, nor restore from backup USB is failed.

Have you confirm that if this USB backup can be detected/used on other device? If it is directly plugged, try to change the USB port.

Besides, since you have installation media, you may try to do a repair installation with the media. Detailed steps you may reference Restore or repair your server running Windows Server Essentials:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/jj593197.aspx

Or, you may reference link below to rebuild the BCD store:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2004518

Best Regards,
Eve Wang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 11:10pm

Hi Eve:

Thanks for the reply - for some reason I was not notified of your response via email - hence the long delay in posting here.

I was able to repair the server last weekend using the instructions found here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824874.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I had tried the BCD boot command before but what I failed to do is make the system partition ACTIVE using the Diskpart tool....  I believe I also needed to run one of them from an elevated prompt but I can't recall now.

Regardless, after I selected the volume i then ran the bcdboot c:\windows command and it reported back successfully.  I rebooted the server and voil, back up and running. 

What still concerns me is why the install media and the troubleshooting tools did NOT see my backup drive.  I'll have to troubleshoot that more. 

What I am doing in addition to the server backup is copying all my files off to separate drive for safe keeping offsite....  (still trying to figure out how to do a backup of the "Folder Redirection" folder....) The thought of losing 15+ years of digital photos, music, financial records, etc. made me nauseous. But I've since learned that I can take the Storage Space drive and connect it to a Win8 machine and read the files...  I think. 

September 13th, 2015 9:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics