WS2012R2Essentials Reboot causes Server Backup Hang at Storage Spaces Drive
I am storing 7 Client and System backups on a standalone Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Server OPS in the LAN. All works well until I have to reboot the Server, then the Server backups hang and fail when the Storage Spaces Drive tries to do it's backup at 66%. To fix this failure, I have to stop the server backup and disable the Server backup settings to my External USB Drive, then re-setup the Server backup settings, then re-start the Server System backups to get it to run the Server backups to completion. This forces a completely new and long backup sequence. Can anyone instruct me on how to prevent this redo of the complete backup sequence every time I have to reboot the Server and make all backups run normally again? - - - Thanks Shorto
December 26th, 2014 5:57pm

Hi Shorto,

The duplicated thread is deleted.

As you actually recreated the backup schedule, it will redo the complete backup as expected. 

Do you mean whether or not the backup is running, once you reboot the server, all client backups will no longer working?

You mentioned "Server backups hang and fail when the Storage Spaces Drive" and "disable the Server backup settings to myExternal USB Drive" which confused me - do you mean the server backup is backup files from Storage Space to external drive?

Though it is hang, can you find any error in Event?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 29th, 2014 4:14pm

Hi Shaon - Thanks for the reply.

The Client and Server backups are working OK as normal - backing up every night, but if I have to re-boot the Server OPS for any reason the Storage Spaces Backup Step hangs up at 66% with a status of Incomplete and the Storage Spaces portion of the Server backup keeps hanging at 66% until I disable the Server backups to the USB External Hard Drive and then go thru a Complete Re-setup for the Server drives to start a new backup sequence to make the Server Backups work again without hanging up, but this causes a new and long Storage Spaces backup ~ 8 hrs. Then everything works as it should until the Server is Re-booted again, then the 66% hang up happens again until reset. The Client backups are not affected and function normally. No error is displayed - the Server backup just Stops and Hangs at 66% until disable/reset is performed - everything else is normal and OK. - - - Shorto 

December 29th, 2014 9:08pm

Hi Shorto,

So client backup is not related.

The issue is that you are doing a system state (or Bare Metal) backup, which includes Storage Space. With a reboot, the backup will hang at 66% unless reset all settings.

Please open Event Viewer and go to Applications and Services logs - Microsoft - Windows - Backup - Operational. Check if any error is logged here.

December 31st, 2014 7:47am

Hi Shaon
No errors were recorded for this system state (Bare Metal) backup period,
just Information and Warnings and the stated log file was missing
and not recorded as stated in the Warning.
Download my Dropbox folder to see the comments and Images for Event Viewer Information from the
Applications and Services logs - Microsoft - Windows - Backup - Operational
Entrys for that system state backup time period.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/en4g2ql4s1cc6l9/AAC4hXGvUmU4yM3bOuqgAVcva?dl=0

Regards - - - Shorto

December 31st, 2014 9:27pm

Hi Shorto,

Sorry for not reply quicker and thank you for the screenshots.

As it mentioned "no enough space", let's check if it is caused by the size limitation of VSS.

Please run:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Check the Maximum shadow copy storage size of each disk you are going to backup.

You can change it to unbounded by "vssadmin resize shadowstorage". See if there is any difference. 

January 6th, 2015 3:15am

Hi Shaon
Thanks for the reply.
After a server re-boot then I did a Vssadmin Reset Shadowstorage on my Storage Space D: Hard Drive -
Vssadmin Reset ShadowStorage /For=D: /On=D: /Maxsize=UNBOUNDED -
as you suggested then listed all of the steps(Image Series Vssadmin List Shadowstorage Images1-4).
I tried to manually do a server bare metal backup and received a Incomplete Status - ~52min - No Errors - (Image 1 series).
Then I tried a second time to do a re-try for the server backup and received a Unsuccessful Status - ~3hr42min (Image series re-try 2).
and the unsuccessful backup created a Event ID 5 Error -
(The backup operation that started at '2015-01-06T19:22:40.163855500Z' has failed with following error code '0x8078014C')
(Windows Backup failed to dismount the backup image.).
Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.)
The next morning @6am The automatic bare metal backup ran again and started doing a full backup from the begining
(just like the disable the external drive backups then re-do the settings and then force a completely new Bare Metal Backup)
and this had a Successful completion - ~13hr23min (Image 3 Auto).
The next morning the Successful automatic bare metal server backup ran again - ~1hr23min - Incremental this time.
The Event Viewer entrys for this period of time showed about the same information-warnings-errors as before.

Link to My DropBox for Images to this Problem - These Reply Images is in the - Reply - 01-06_08-2015 Folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/en4g2ql4s1cc6l9/AAC4hXGvUmU4yM3bOuqgAVcva?dl=0

I still don't think this problem is resolved and I won't know for sure untill I Re-Boot the Server again!
the Server is Inuse Now and I will have to do a Re-Boot later to try the bare metal backup again.
The Event ID 51 Warning
(The backup storage location is running low on free space.)
(Future backup operations that store backups on this location may fail because of not enough space.)
Keeps showing up in the Event Viewer during the Server Bare Metal Backups.
My USB - Segate 1.8 TB External Server Backup Drive -
shows to have 522.5 GB of Free Space still available after the Full Bare Metal Backup has finished.
I don't know if this Event ID 51 Error is causing a problem, but I have ordered some new hardware to replace the Server Backup Drive
to see if this will fix the Server backup after Re-boot Error problem. If Anyone has other suggestions that will fix this problem?
Please Reply to this Thread - Regards - - - Shorto

January 8th, 2015 6:06pm

Was this issue ever resolved ? I am getting similar on a Win 2012 R2 hyper-V host. I got Event Id 5 with error code 0x8078014C all of a sudden after 4 months of successful backups using Windows Backup. I did not change anything.
April 25th, 2015 4:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics