WMI memory leak issue
I'm seeing indications of the W2k8 R2/WMI memory leak issue mentioned here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314 and http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2010/06/09/wmi-leaks-memory-on-server-2008-r2-monitored-agents.aspx. After some more troubleshooting, I'll probably arrange to have the hotfix applied to a test W2k8 R2 server and then maybe all. I have a question, though, as to what is a normal range of Private Working Set memory used by WmiPrvSE.exe on a W2k8 R2 server in a SCOM 2007 environment? One server was up to app 520,000 K which is obviously too high and is close to the 512 MB max/limit (I think) that WMI will go up to, but what is "normal" usage in this type of environment, 25MB? 100MB? 200MB? I'd like to know this in order to determine/understand what is abnormal memory usage by the process and what is normal usage. Thanks
May 3rd, 2011 6:39pm

When I've seen that issue before, it's always been a slow leak. Take a look at what the process is using a day or so after applying the hotfix, and I think you'll be in the right ballpark. I'd suspect a problem if it's using anything over 100MB.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2011 9:51pm

Hi, Whether your problem has been solved. Looking forward to your feedback.Technology changes life
May 10th, 2011 4:54am

for your interest, that hotfix is included in sp1, so you might aswell test sp1 on your testmachine
May 10th, 2011 9:44am

That's good to know that the hotfix is part of sp1. I haven't applied the hotfix to any machines, I did put together a powershell script that goes out and finds out the working memory set size on a bunch of w2k8 r2 machines which I have been then manually tracking. I couldn't figure out how to get the private working set from the machines using PS. The working set climbs steadily on most/all of the machines and seems to reset itself when it gets up near/at the 512MB WMI memory limit, whcih limits any adverse effect. I haven't been able to find any documentation about this apparent reset though? Some of the machines with the steadily increasing WMI memory usage are being monitored by SCOM and some aren't. We do have SCCM in the environment as well. Thanks
May 13th, 2011 12:50am

in my experience it depends whats running on the machine how much of the leak you notice, in our environment its the sql machines that show the leak the most while we hardly notice it say on file servers or dc's
May 13th, 2011 3:29am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics