WMI Issue in Windows 2003
We ran WMIdiag against the server but when making the call to the WMI the tool just stop responding and eventually errors out. What would be the correct steps to rebuild the WMI repository on the server.
April 27th, 2011 5:52am

Long ago I reseached this and came up with the below information. However, I would need to check if this is still the best: You can rebuild the WMI repository with the command: rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository The following commands reinstall WMI in the registry: winmgmt /clearadap winmgmt /kill winmgmt /unregserver winmgmt /regserver winmgmt /resyncperf Also, winmgmt /salvagerepository Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 27th, 2011 10:23am

This might have been the document I used in the past, which seems to still be valid: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff406382.aspx Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
April 27th, 2011 10:28am

Can you just stop the WMI service and delete all files out of the repository directory? I saw on a couple of website this method is not Microsoft approved, why is that?
April 27th, 2011 2:39pm

I did issue the commmand to rebuild a Windows 2003 WMI But when running WMIDIAG.VBS to test The server is still hanging on the following: (0) ** Verifying WMI providers loaded BEFORE WMIDiag execution.
April 27th, 2011 2:54pm

Hi, Did you encounter any problems with the WMI service? If so, please describe the issue in detail. Were you trying to run the WMI Diagnosis Utility, Version 2.0? You can try to repair the Repository by typing the following command (the parameter RepairWMISetup is case-sensitive): rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup If the repair command succeeds, you should see an entry similar to this in the WMI Setup log (%windir%\System32\Wbem\Logs\Setup.log). (Wed Oct 12 14:21:24 2005): ERROR: wbemupgd.dll. The WMI repository has failed to upgrade. The repository has been backed up to C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\Repository.001 and a new one created. As you said that “I did issue the commmand to rebuild a Windows 2003 WMI”, do you mean the above command? If so, please confirm the results in the WMI Setup log. Each time the WMI Diagnosis Tool runs, the WMI Diagnosis Tool creates three files: a .log file, a .txt file and a .csv file. The three files are created by default in the %TEMP% directory. Please check the log file for troubleshooting. If any error is showed, please paste the error here. If the whole log is not large, you can also paste the whole log here for research. For more information on the WMI Diagnosis Tool, please refer to the following link: WMI Diagnosis Tool General Questions http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wmi/archive/2006/05/12/596266.aspx#_Toc135182726 Best Regards, Nina Liu TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 28th, 2011 6:57am

I been trying to run WMIdiag but it just errors out and never completes. I did rebuild the whole WMI repository and still errors out. Do you have any other things I could possibly try? It seems the wmiprsve.exe goes into HIGH CPU cycles when the errors are occuring, would there be any post-SP2 hotfixes that might help my situation.
April 28th, 2011 7:24am

I think our problem is that we don't know what WMIdiag is. If this is a script, can you either post it or provide a link to the program? Also, if you get an error when running the script, tell us which line in the script raises the error. The error message should indicate a line number, but we need to know which statement is on that line. Have you tried rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup and checked the resulting log? If so, what was in the log? Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services
April 28th, 2011 11:52am

Hi, Have you checked the WMI Setup log as suggested? How about the log file after running the WMI Diagnosis Tool? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, I will be happy to help. Regards, NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 2nd, 2011 10:20pm

Currently I am working this through Microsoft Support Services as everything that was suggested did not work for us.
May 3rd, 2011 7:17am

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. If there is any progress or if there is anything we can do for you, please feel free to let us know. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 4th, 2011 11:10pm

Nina, What we found out is that WMI was in a state of high memory which cause it to crash or just not work what we did through MS PSS is set WMI to a memory threshold. But we still don't know what the root cause of this just starting to happen. Is there any techniques that would lead us to answer this question?
May 27th, 2011 7:32am

Hi, Glad to hear that a workaround was found. Have you got any ideas from the Microsoft Support Services? I am afraid that I cannot provide you accurate explanation according to the information provided. Just for your information, the following link might be helpful: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394559(v=vs.85).aspx Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
May 31st, 2011 5:28am

It seems sitting the memory limit on the WMI provider solved our problem. Thanks for replying to my message.
May 31st, 2011 10:05pm

Hi, Thanks for your feedback and sharing. Best Regards, NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 1st, 2011 9:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics