WINS 4202
Hi, there, Our windows 2003 DC gets many WINS 4202 errors. The remote WINS server IPs are not in replication parter, they may come from the old servers. My question is how we could get out of these old WINS servers' IP? Thanks in advanced
April 10th, 2010 1:40am

Some of the things I have done in the past to clean up WINS problems are the following (for a very large WINS infrastructure): You should break replication before doing these steps 1-4. Then set up replication once everything is cleaned up. Proceed to step 5. 1) Secure WINS replication by ALLOWING OR BLOCKING partners (replication partners, properties, advanced tab)2) DELETE OWNERS. (active registrations, DELETE OWNERS (delete all owners that no longer exist)3) DELETE any "lingering" WINS records that have OWNERS assigned that no longer exist.4) Make sure that the replication partners listing is correct (replication partners) Best Practices 5) Jetpack the WINS db monthly for each WINS server6) Routinely verify database consistentaly (server object, properties, database verification tab)7) Only use a hub and spoke design, no daisy chaining WINS replication.8) No more than 20 WINS servers in the design, no more than a 40 MB WINS db. Went from daily problems to none over the last 7 years. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 10th, 2010 5:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics