WIN2K8 R2 Enterprise sluggish performance, start menu empty and no longer genuine?
Hello, This is my first time posting on Technet, although I use it as a resource on a weekly basis. One of my clients is currently experiencing some rather odd issues with his Windows 2008 Enterprise R2 server. The issue started last thursday, Sharepoint Foundation services had stopped running so I logged in using RDP to troubleshoot the issue. Upon logging in, I immediatly noticed that the shortcuts in the taskbar were no longer pointing to anything. I opened the start menu and saw that administrative tools was empty. I went to all programs and saw that although the installed program folders were there, they were empty. We rebooted the machine and it never came back up. I logged into the IP enable KVM switch and saw that there was an error loading a device necessary at boot. I came in and, long story short, had to resort to restoring from a few days old backup. Their inhouse IT suggested we run antivirus on the server to check for a virus, none were found. Today, I am back at the client, the issue has returned... This time, I get a warning that Windows is not genuine. I find that hard to believe since we buy our servers from Dell with the license, and this client has a MAPS and MSDN account. All their software is purchased legally from one source or another, and this server has been running fine for the past year and a half. I am just at a loss to understand what is happening on that box. I am seriously considering wiping it. The server has always been way too sluggish for my tastes. Only about 20-25% of the 16Gb of available RAM is used, and for some reason task manager takes up an entire CPU when running. I am curious to see if anyone has experienced these problems before? Thank you for your help!
May 24th, 2011 12:15pm

Hello, better use the Sharepoint forum instead this one: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepointBest regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2011 5:01pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics