WDS creating install image upload to WDS Server authentication fail
i have a created, iso of windows 7 ultimate, extracted it, uploaded the wim files, created a capture image, then stage 2 is to create a install immage, placed in that capture image, so i have a prebuilt windows 7 ultimate, to reinstall on my pc, To save me time next time i reinstall it. i am using WDS on server 2008; i can PXE Boot; but when i tryed to create a image capture (for windows 7 ultimate); my pc witch i created the install image on(windows 7 ultimate), using Sysprep.exe this rebooted my pc, and started services, imidiatly came across a error, and restarted, so i pxe booted, opened my capture image, : so the pre install, capture image capture, is stored on dc-01\reminst\capture... created the file (local) (PC-01) cheacked upload to WDS, entered DC-01 and pressed connect, full name : dc-01.emachipro.co.uk (trying to set up as name server, but hard with dynamic ip adress) it asked for Username/password, i entered emachipro\Administrator and my password, it then told "logon falure: unknowen user name or bad password" for the WDS should i have put dc-01\reminst\image saw sopme one put somthing about putting the target path. sorry if not very clear, + i have changed the share propertyes so everybody has read write acess, and annonomous logon has read write acess, still doesn't work i forgot to backup this pc first, thought this would kinda be used as a backup, can i get my computer working again, will it fix it's self when i finish the WDS image capture process, i can't afford to lose this licence!
January 1st, 2011 2:49pm

Hi, The error seems to be domain credentials failure. Check this article. http://blog.augustoalvarez.com.ar/2010/04/20/deploying-windows-7-using-windows-deployment-services-wds-step-by-step-part-i/ Hope this will help you. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 1st, 2011 4:38pm

thanks ali, that site is a lot better than the microsoft one i have been using, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc730837(WS.10).aspx i have been logging on with my domain credentials, when i log on to my computer that is already on the domain, i type emachipro\Administrator i have tryed the same for this, but it doesn't accept it. i did notice in the articale you sent: "It is important to note that if we missed this sequence, we should reboot the machine as soon as possible. If Windows operating system starts, the sysprep clean up performed earlier will be lost and you won’t be available to capture the image." my computer has already tryed to boot up, (I got bored of waiting for Sysprep.exe) when i next looked it said starting services, then displayed a error. (i have boooted my pc with oph crack, as it is the only disc bot able os i have, the capture.wim file has saved, i could copy it to a dics and upload it to the server, then reinstall my pc using it. would that work? ) i have also tryed logging on EMACHIPRO.CO.UK\Administrator that didnot work ither, further more i have tryed using other admin accounts. do i have to make the administrator part of a security group to be able to acess the resorces, ( i was thinking it would be somthing along the lines, of domain level trusts, with this beeing a unknowen pc, and not part of the domain, while it is not running the os i set up. i hjave given "everyone" and ANONOMOUS LOGON full permisions) thanks,
January 1st, 2011 5:47pm

Hi, Check this http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771670(WS.10).aspx If still any problem. You can post your article in setup deployment forum. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversetup/threads Thanks.
January 2nd, 2011 5:07pm

Hi, As I understand, you attempted to create a custom install image by capturing prebuild Windows 7 machine via WDS, after you syspreped the Windows 7 machine, loaded the capture image to capture, you failed at uploading image to WDS because of unknown user credential. If I misunderstand, please feel free to let me know. 1. Sysprep will reset Windows Product Activation if you don’t use unattended.xml to set SkipRearm with the value of 1. That means you need to re-activate the computer after syspreping. You’d better preserve the activation before syspreping. In your situation, I’m afraid that you need to re-activate the machine. For the key, if it is an OEM product, generally it is a VL key from OEM, you’d better contact OEM vendor to re-activate. If it is a key from a retail media, the key usually comes with the installation disc. 2. To troubleshoot the logon failure message, try the following steps: 1) Ensure you type the right domain user name and password. 2) Go to WDS server, check the Event Viewer to see if any error is logged related to WDS logon failure. 3) Check the Date and Time of the computer, ensure the system date and time matching the one with Domain Controller. 4) While booting the capture image, go to the command line, type: ipconfig /all to show the network configuration of Windows 7 machine (WDS client), copy the results in your reply. Best Regards DalePlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
January 3rd, 2011 12:56am

thanks dale, i have finally managed to upload it, when booting a capture image ther is no option on what keyboard type, by default it goes to us, i was using a uk keyboard, so my password was coming out wrong, i hve managed to do it now, thanks michael
January 23rd, 2011 8:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics