WDS - Using WAIK - Inject Driver into boot.wim image
Hi.Previously I have successfully used WDS tocapture and then deploy an image across the network. I upgraded Server to HP GLG5, now the client I attempt to capture is unable to upload to the WDS server? When I specify the WDS server name and click on "Connect" there is a is a looooooooooooooong delayt, followed by "unable to connect to network".The network drivers I have in theCapture Image allow me to connect the client to the G5(WDS) to select and run the Capture utility - the only part that doesn't work is the "upload to WDS server".I hit 'Shift F10' then ran ipconfig. No IP is being issued so presume the capture image does not have driver supportfor thenic in the dc5800......I followed a thread that advised the following:[quote] You will need to inject a RIS driver for your broadcom product, you should be able to use one of the drivers here: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php . find yourboot.wim. createfolders c:\peboot\mount and c:\peboot\driver using your aik cmd prompt: imagex /mountrw c:\boot.wim 2 c:\peboot\mount peimg /inf=c:\peboot\driver\*.inf /image=c:\peboot\mount imagex /commit /unmount c:\peboot\mount create NEW capture and deploy images from this created image. This is how it is supposed to work. i also have been less than succesfull with the DL380g5......[/quote]However when I run "imagex /mountrw c:\boot.wim 2 c:\peboot\mount" AIK returns:[quote]Mounting <RW>: [c:\myPath\boot.wim, 2] -> [c:\myPath\mountError mounting image <RW>:Access is denied.[/quote]I am logged into the server as administrator and have not modified any permissions (the boot.wim is from the Vista DVD).I am attempting to capture image for a HP DC5800 (CM lists Network Adapters - Intel 825566DM Gigabit Network Connection)Anyone able to help on this one?Many Thanks,Phil.
July 3rd, 2008 10:26am

Hi Phil, May I know which boot.wim you used? This sounds like the boot.wim is not allowed to be changed (written) so you got the access denied error message. Please note that using the /mountrw switch means that the source image file should be allowed to be changed. Would you please try using the boot.wim file on the Windows Vista Setup media (located at SOURCES\BOOT.WIM) and see how it goes? You should copy and paste this boot.wim file to another location before using it. This is because this file is read-only on the CDROM. Best regards, Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2008 3:09pm

Chang only just seen this reply, did not receive notification. Thanks for replying. I was using the WIM image from the Vista DVD. Originally I copied it to a network share then created my capture / discover images from it. All worked fine until I tried to capture image for HP dc5800.Iwill do as suggested and post back.Many Thanks,Phil.
August 27th, 2008 12:52pm

OK. I copied the boot.wim file from the VISTA DVD (this time remembering to uncheck the Read Only attribute!!). I was able to mount without getting the access denied error:imagex /mountrw c:\boot.wim 2 c:\peboot\mountI copied drivers from manufacturers sitethen ran:peimg /inf=c:\peboot\driver\*.inf /image=c:\peboot\mountThis returned error: PEIMG failed to complete the operation with a status code 0x800703fbThe driver I downloaded was 'Windows Server 2003 - RIS' fromhttp://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.phpI then followed article:http://apcmag.com/how_to_inject_drivers_into_microsofts_free_os_windows_pe_20.htmBasically I have a HP dc5800 which is Vista Ready running Windows XP Pro SP2. Device manager lists the network adapter as Intel R 825566DM Gigabit Network Connection.Any ideas?Many Thanks,Phil.
August 27th, 2008 2:48pm

Hello Phil,it seems we're struggling with the same thing, more or less, see my post:http://forums.technet.microsoft.com/en-US/winserversetup/thread/8ff9c2dd-4a7d-449e-80dd-8d6f41139a6ayou might at least understand if the driver you're trying to inject is the good one, see instructions about drvload and wpeutil here:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923834/en-usThen maybe you'll be lucky and find a good and "injectable" driver.... f.
September 2nd, 2008 2:45pm

Phil, I succeded working on a WS2008 server.Same driver, the good one, I could not inject it working on a WS2003 R2 SP2 , while I could (with exactly same commands) on a WS2008 one.I guess it would work working on Vista, too.f.
September 2nd, 2008 6:18pm

Thanks for posting. Phil
September 4th, 2008 11:50pm

Hi, Yes I had success using the drivers from the broadcom site (win_2k3_RIS-4.4.0) and injecting them into the boot.wim from a Vista image. Error occured usingwindows server 2003 OS with WAIK installed,installed Server 2008 with the latest WAIKhttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=94BB6E34-D890-4932-81A5-5B50C657DE08&displaylang=enand driver injected without errors. Reapplyed modified Boot.wim to our WDS server...Working great now :)
October 5th, 2008 11:59pm

Hi there, i had the same problem. I made two changes at once, one of them fixed it. Change 1: Changed this: peimg /inf=c:\peboot\driver\*.inf /image=c:\peboot\mount to this: peimg /inf=c:\peboot\driver\*.inf /image=c:\peboot\mount\Windows note the \Windows on the end. The other thing I did (my problem was that PE couldnt find a suitable network driver) was change from XP to Vista drivers for the NIC. So Im not sure which one fixed it, but it was one of them :) shaun
January 22nd, 2010 8:48am

Hi: This might be due to Read Only Option checked on your image which you are trying to mount. Solution: Right click Image and open property and uncheck Read only option and try mounting...It works for me!!! I found this after one day strugle..Hope this will help for you :)
July 10th, 2011 2:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics