WDS - Image Capture Upload - There is not enough space on the disk
Hello we use Windows Deployment Services (WDS) for Sysprepping and deploying our workstations. I am currently working on a Windows 7 image. I have built the image and sysprep then boot into PXE/WDS enviroment and capture the image. What doesn't work is the 'upload image to WDS Server' I tick the box, authenticate, select the Image Group and press go etc. I then captures the image but it ALWAYS fails to upload to the server. The Error message is: Uploading image to the WDS Server. There is not enough space on the disk. The server has 20GB free on C, 115GB free on D and 545GB Free on E (Where WDS is installed). The PC that is being imaged would have about 100GB free also. So I believe the error is a red herring. The only way to get the image into the WDS enviroment is then to boot an offline CD, copy the WIM file I created and manually import it into the WDS Image Group (Which works fine for deploying by the way) I enabled WDS error tracing but nothing obvious (Log is here: http://pastebin.com/LstFp4A7) except the line: [2404] 11:43:36: [d:\rtm\base\ntsetup\opktools\wds\wdssrv\server\src\udpendpoint.cpp:811] Expression: , Win32 Error=5023 get repeated alot. (I have snipped it in the log FYI) Any pointers would be great. Thanks, Cam
July 28th, 2010 4:19am

Hi Cam, Can you perform a test to capture the image from another computer and see whether you are able to upload the image to the WDS server there? If you can, there might be some problem with the current reference computer, please consider to switch to another computer as the reference computer. Please note that this kind of error could also be caused by virus, please perform a full scan of the WDS server. Regards, Karen Ji
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2010 8:45am

Hi, Thanks for your suggestion. I attempted new hardware and in the process I have discovered how to make it succeed / fail. When I used the new hardware I deleted all the partitions and created a new one, at this point the installer said "To ensure that all Windows features work correctly, Windows might create additional partitions for system files" - I had no choice but to let it. It then created a system partition of 100MB and rest for C. Deployed the image (to then sysprep and capture afterwards) and that was fine. I then subsequently sysprepped it and captured it again - and it Uploaded to the Server!!! Except I really dont want to have 2 partitions (for easy of management in the future etc) Is there anyway to capture an image with only one partition for capture and deployment? (and make sure that it uploads successfully to the WDS Server) Thanks In Advance Cam
July 29th, 2010 3:19am

Hi Cam, The 100MB system reserved partition is created automatically for BitLocker Encryption when you install Windows 7. If you donot want this partition to be created, please partition the computer using Diskpart command utility before the installation of the OS. So, on your reference computer, please boot into WinPE, format the disk and partition the disk appropriately, then start the installation of the OS. After you've installed the operating system, make appropriate configuration and installed other necessary softwares, please try to capture the image again and see whether it works. Regards, Karen Ji Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2010 5:38am

Hi Karen, At the last step of the WDS capture image wizard tells me that "There is not enough space on the disk". I have read your post, and I understand your explanation, but I am not sure that your steps will solve the problem, because on the local machine when you make the sysprep process you make it only in one partition, and when you start the WDS capture image wizard you have to select only one partition, and for me only appears the partition which I have made the sysprep process which have the apps installed. Therefore, I think that is doesn't matter if exist another partitions on the local machine like the partition that you explain. For example, my local machine has another partition than C:\ but I think it is transparent for the WDS process. Any idea will by great for solve this problem. Thanks ins advanced.
May 5th, 2011 3:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics